~Year 4~ Durmstrang and Beauxbatons

I woke up early that morning. I had gone to bed late due to some arithmancy homework. Draco had been trying to help me understand it more over the weeks. But it wasn't exactly working. On a new note their lessons were becoming more difficult and demanding than ever before, particularly Defense Against the Dark Arts. I also seemed to not be doing to well in herbology. I just couldn't remember all the different names and purposes. I sat at the Slytherin table and ate a breakfast. Astoria and Lucille slept in late which left just me and Harper to talk. He had recently become a more known friend. He was normally just one of the friends you say hi in the corridors now he was that friend your walking in the corridors with. I didn't really mind. I like having Harper around he always seemed to have a great perspective on things.

Plus it made Draco angry when he saw us together. I didn't know why but it's always pretty funny when he storms out after Harper says hello. He is making us call him Harper. Something about it having a better ring to it then Ryan. I didn't understand so I shrugged it off. We had just arrived at our latest DADA lesson with Moody. I had started sitting with Draco regularly. He kept telling me it was to keep Pansy away but I secretly knew he enjoyed it. Moody had just announced something.To everyone's surprise, Professor Moody had announced that he would be putting the Imperius curse on each of them in turn, to demonstrate its power and to see whether they could resist its effects.

"But – but you said it's illegal, Professor," said Hermione uncertainly, as Moody cleared away the desks with a sweep of his wand, leaving a large clear space in the middle of the room. "You said – to use it against another human was –"

"Dumbledore wants you taught what it feels like," said Moody, his magical eye swiveling onto Hermione and fixing her with an eerie, unblinking stare.

"If you'd rather learn the hard way – when someone's putting it on you so they can control you completely – fine by me. You're excused. Off you go." He pointed one gnarled finger towards the door. Hermione went very pink, and muttered something about not meaning that she wanted to leave. I gave a uncertain look to Draco. He just shrugged and got into the line starting to form.

Moody began to beckon students forwards in turn and put the Imperius curse upon them. I watched as, one by one, my classmates did the most extraordinary things under its influence. Dean Thomas hopped three times around the room, singing the national anthem. Lucille imitated a squirrel. Neville performed a series of quite astonishing gymnastics he would certainly not have been capable of in his normal state. Astoria did a rhythmic dance that I knew she would never be able to perform normally. Not one of them seemed to be able to fight the curse off, and each of them recovered only when Moody had removed it.

"Potter," Moody growled, "you next." Harry moved forward into the middle of the classroom, into the space that Moody had cleared of desks. Moody raised his wand, pointed it at Harry, and said, "Imperio." Harry seemed to be stuck in one place for a while before going to a desk. He smashed headlong into the desk, knocking it over, and, by the look of his legs, fractured both his kneecaps. My eyes went wide.

"Now, that's more like it!" growled Moody's voice, "Look at that, you lot ... Potter fought! He fought it, and he damn near beat it! We'll try that again, Potter, and the rest of you, pay attention – watch his eyes, that's where you see it – very good, Potter, very good indeed! They'll have trouble controlling you!"

"Stupid Saint Pottah always the best!" Draco spat from behind me. I had to agree. Harry did seem to always do the best. Especially in this class.

"Alright Gibson!" Moody says moving on. I moved forward to him. "Imperio." I sudden faint feeling came over me.

Act like a bird.

A bird? That's a stupid animal I prefer snakes. I could slither on the ground. I thought.