Chapter 59. Shattered Safety

Loud beeping penetrated the darkness around Izuku. His eyes opened slowly, prepared to encounter whatever tonight's nightmare would bring, but he only saw the dark sleepover room and Shoto who had pushed himself up into a half-sitting position on the other bed. The air around them was already cooling.

"Shoto, temperature," Izuku muttered groggily and reached for his loudly beeping phone. The grogginess disappeared quickly as he saw the symbol for the security system of the house. He got on his feet during the time it took to pull the phone closer. He pulled a security image showing someone on the back porch peeping in through the windows.

Izuku gritted his teeth and held the phone so tightly something bent under his fingers. He really did not need this on top of everything else. He could only hope the fool would be a more satisfying punching bag than Eijiro and started stomping towards the door.

"What is it?" Shoto asked.

"Burglar outside, I hope. Going to handle it."

Izuku made it to the door before rapid steps followed him. In the corridor Izuku walked straight past the stairs, opting for a balcony that opened over the porch. He held his hand up, signalling Shoto to remain quiet as he opened the door just enough to squeeze through the gap and entered the balcony. Now he could hear the person below mumbling, though the words were indistinguishable. Izuku put his phone away and peeked over the railing, waiting for the perfect moment.

He bounced, flinging over the railing. It was just one story up, no big deal. He landed right behind the intruder and swept the man's legs out from under him before the man even had time to realize he was there, let alone turn around. The man fell on his back hard enough to crack the planks of the floor. This quy was much thicker than the paparazzi at the beach both in shoulder- and stomach width. It didn't matter. He was just as easy to take down. Izuku had a knee on his chest and flaming blade over his neck before he finished shouting from the impact.

"You just made the biggest mistake of your life", Izuku seethed. "Please make another and try to fight back."

There was a thud as Shoto dropped behind Izuku. It was preceded by a cold chill.

"So it was true," the man gasped. "You are holding Todoroki here."

Izuku's eyes hardened and the man's widened with fear as they encountered.

"Shoto," Izuku gasped a correction as he moved the hotter than before flaming blade closer to the soon to be roasted intruder. "Who are you and why are you here?"

The man grinned as if he had some power in the situation and wasn't literal centimetres from death.

"I am a reporter. Got a tip from a friend about where the quirk stealer is holding Endeavour's son."

Despite Izuku's death stare the man's eyes glanced at the neighbour's house. His arm flinched. Izuku stomped on it with his free foot. A phone fell out of his grasp, a phone that was recording. It took less than a second to slice it, and some floor planks, in two. The two remaining pieces caught fire. Izuku brought the blade back over the intruder.

"I would ask what you think you are doing here, but you already said enough. Not the first Endeavour fan paparazzi who doesn't understand privacy any more than they care what is actually going on. First one to attempt to break into my house though."

"Look who is talking. Did..."

The Dragon Blade flashed a little hotter, making the man shut up.

"All I want to know is who else knows."

"My colleagues do, so don't get any ideas. I only came alone to get the scoop first. Found the quirk stealer. Returned Endeavour's son to his father. He should know already."