Chapter 5: The News

Two weeks have passed. It is time for another chapter. I hope you like it... or cry, either way is a success to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Izuku stared at the trio at his door as dread consumed him. When he met the eyes of the civilian woman his own began to tear up.

"Are you Izuku Midoriya?" One of the police asked. Izuku could only nod. "Is your father home?"

Izuku gulped.

"No, he's away a lot because of his work. Please tell me what's going on."

"Your mother Inko Midoriya was killed earlier today by a villain."

Izuku stood in front of them with shaky legs that soon collapsed as he fell to his knees on the doorstep. He grabbed his chest. He was gasping for air barely able to breathe, like something was squeezing his throat. The middle-aged woman pushed through between the two police officers and kneeled to embrace Izuku in her arms.

"Oh for goodness sake. Have you ever told these kinds of news to a kid?" She said and then spoke to Izuku in softer tones. "I am a social worker. You can call me Annaisha. We will explain everything and get you anything you need, but you should be sitting for that. May we have your permission to come in?"

The only sound Izuku could make was quiet sniffing, but he nodded to her.

"Thank you. Don't worry about crying. You don't need to keep anything in."

Annaisha escorted Izuku inside, still holding him close. She settled him on the big sofa and let him stare into the empty air for a long time.

"Wha..." Izuku rasped. "What happened?"

Annaisha nodded to the police officers.

"There was a villain with a quirk that turned his body into a sludge form. He was being chased after a robbery. We believe that he... wanted to utilize his quirk to hide in your mother's body and use it to escape."

Izuku gagged loudly and felt a new clump in his throat.

"The sludge villain."

"You know him?" One of the police asked.

"I saw a headline," Izuku paused to sob, "I didn't have time to read mo... there was a video."

He scrambled to get his phone. Annaisha put her hand on his.

"I would not recommend you watch that. Dealing with a loss like this takes time. It may be too much right away."

Izuku yanked his phone from her grasp.

"It's already too much. I still need to see for myself, to know."

He quickly found the news again and pulled up a video. The situation was already going on when the camera had started. A gas station had been damaged and caught fire. In the middle of it all was the sludge villain, not even human-shaped, only recognizable as a person because it had an oversized face with a wicked evil grin and under it, being pulled up to the sludge, was a human shape. The image was too small to truly identify the person but Izuku knew. A group of heroes led by the Deatharm were at the scene. They grabbed a few civilians caught in the middle of things and retreated with them. Deatharm attacked the villain... once.

Then he ran away.

The heroes withdrew further away from the villain, not even trying to help his mom anymore. Mount Lady was stuck on some smaller street, too stupid to shrink so she could get closer. Izuku started shaking as the video progressed but not of grief.