Chapter 40: Healing and Fighting

Izuku kicked open the door to Recovery Girls onsite reception at the stadium, softly, not willing to risk dropping Hitoshi by letting go off him with his hand.

"Recovery Girl, we need your help."

"Yes, yes," Recovery Girl said as she came from behind her desk. "I might not sit in the audience, but I do follow the competition. Bring him to bed here."

"He said the world is spinning and he sees things triple, can't stand straight, vomited, spits blood..."

As Izuku listed his sins, he did as instructed lowering Hitoshi onto the bed.

"Thank you, medic Midoriya."

"His tongue still works as well as usual," Izuku said trying to fake a smile before taking half a step back from the bed. Beyond that he didn't move even a millimetre from the bedside as Recovery Girl came to the other side.

"I'll take care of things here. You can join your other classmates watching the tournament."

"No," Izuku said, his voice leaving no room for arguments. "I'd rather stay here, at least until everything is okay."

Hitoshi chuckled quietly.

"Don't bother trying to tell him no. You'd have more success trying to win a staring contest against mister Aizawa."

"Been there done that," Recovery Girl said. "Glad to see someone here at least takes injuries seriously rather than ignoring risks thinking the old lady can always fix them."

"You can still... fix him, right?"

"Oh usually I can, but that doesn't mean people should automatically assume that about everything. Remember what I told you about trying to heal injuries to the brain when you first visited me?"

Izuku was about to answer 'yes' but his eyes dropped to Hitoshi, and he started mentally counting how many times he had hit Hitoshi to the head, only now starting to realize how many it was. His training had been more about turning Nomu brains into mush than avoiding concussions on people after all. That knee to the chin wouldn't have helped either.

His worries grew with rapid yelps of pain from Hitoshi. Recovery Girl was just gently pressing a hand against his chin as part of checking him up.

"That's what I was afraid of since I saw that kick. Your chin is broken, probably not too badly but at least a small fracture. I'm surprised you could talk as well as you have."

Izuku's face dropped from the weight of quilt.

"Every word hurts," Hitoshi admitted. "I didn't want to say anything until Izuku left, but I guess that was never going to happen."

Recovery Girl sighed and shook her head.

"Are there any other symptoms you would like to tell us now that we know your friend isn't leaving before you do."

"Izuku forgot to list migraine. My stomach... or maybe chest hurt when I breath. That's nothing new when I get punched enough, I think, maybe bit worse this time... Do the lights have to be that bright... Where was I..."

"Changes in mental state," Recovery Girl muttered as she moved to feel Hitoshi's ribs.

"Will he be okay?"

"I can't diagnose or treat him any faster no matter how many times you ask. Well at least you didn't break any of his ribs," she glanced at Izuku scanning him for a few seconds before looking at Hitoshi again. "Probably didn't come far from that though. I don't think there is any obvious internal bleeding. Damage behind the pain should be within my ability to heal quickly, but the other symptoms suggest at least a concussion. I will now treat you with my quirk though being tired by the tournament its efficiency may be limited by your stamina."