Chapter 21: Battle Training Part 1

Izuku yawned as he walked through the UA gate, still stunned that he actually went to school there. Thoughts of his awe drifted away quickly though as he fell deep in thought. The previous evening's encounter with the new Nomu had reminded him of how far he still had to go to have the power to change the world, or even just his own country. Hell, in terms of speed Izuku couldn't even keep up with Bakugo in the entrance exam combat, and worse, had been too slow to stop him from attacking Hitoshi the previous day. If Eraserhead hadn't stopped him...

Izuku didn't like Eraserhead after the previous day, but he could still be grateful. Even if the man was obviously made his teacher for his ability to erase quirks, including his All For One. Though the man wasn't too subtle about it, having admitted to being specifically briefed on Izuku. Izuku wondered if the man even knew the whole story with Izuku's father. Maybe Nezu and All Might hadn't told him everything. The hobo looking man hadn't exactly focused on him, except for the softball throw, but entrance exam results were as good an excuse as any. If he just hadn't messed that up because of...

Bakugo!

Both Izuku and Bakugo froze still as Izuku stepped out of the stairwell right next to the walking dynamite stick. Actually, that was unfair to dynamite. That stuff is not actually that easy to set off. He was more like a bottle of warm nitro-glycerine.

Bakugo hopped back from Izuku and raised his hands, ready for battle with tiny explosions crackling on his palms. After the previous day Izuku didn't have any doubts about Bakugo's readiness to use violence. Izuku's expression fell blank, but within he had tensed throughout, feeling something in his throat. He shifted into a more defensive position, hands open, ready to use either All For One or Vibration. Were things really going to be like this his whole time at UA? Briefly Izuku wondered if it would be easier to get away with stealing Bakugo's quirk.

Eventually Bakugo broke his stare and, still ready to strike, stepped towards the class. As he came closest to Izuku he whispered under his breath.

"I will destroy you."

"A year ago you might have been able to," Izuku whispered back.

Bakugo scowled but kept walking, never completely turning his back to Izuku. Izuku kept several meters distance until they got into the class and he slipped into his seat between Tenya and Hitoshi. They kept the same sitting order in every class and Bakugo settled to sitting at the opposite side of the room in every class too. Hitoshi didn't even need to use his brainwashing. Other students generally didn't bother them.

Many of them seemed more awkward or hesitant than afraid or hostile, but Izuku mostly kept Tenya and Hitoshi between himself and them whenever they left the classroom. Tenya especially made for a good barricade.

When their lunch hour rolled around the trio stood and departed the classroom quickly. As they left the classroom Tenya spoke up.

"Izuku, I know yesterday didn't end well but you shouldn't avoid our classmates. You should at least try talking to the ones that seemed to accept you. That goes for you too Hitoshi."

Izuku sighed and looked at Hitoshi.

"He is probably right," Hitoshi said, and both looked around. They had already walked away from their classmates and the corridor was full of other students. Izuku could spot only one familiar person, mostly because Shoji towered above the other students, and some walking behind him snickered while one of them pointed at him. Another waved her hands stupidly. Izuku scowled and walked towards his six-armed classmate.

"Hey Shoji," he called loud enough for the snickering group to also hear, "want to have lunch with us before today's hero training?"

He made sure to emphasize the "hero" part. The snickering group's faces dropped. It was difficult to tell how Shoji felt under his mask. What was the point of that anyway? A mouth that formed in the end of one of his arm-tentacles was smiling however. Even Izuku had to admit that it could be startling to witness the first time.