Chapter 31: What Happened?

"Please, come in."

Izuku followed the invitation and stepped into the staff cabinet room turned temporary interrogation chamber, or at least that was what it felt like to him while facing Detective Tsukauchi and another police officer from across the table.

He was already drawing on the Calm Mind as much as he dared to, not wanting to appear odd. The story of how the events at USJ happened and how he felt about them was clear in his mind and the rest of the world didn't exist except for the two men in front of him. He sat down, maintaining a neutral expression. The police officer started a voice recorder.

"Please state your name," Tsukauchi said.

"Izuku Midoriya."

"You were one of the class 1A students present during the U.S.J incident?"

"Yes."

"Please describe in your own words what happened from the beginning."

Thankfully the events had been set so that Izuku didn't really need to lie about his actions, just his surprise and some of his feelings of the situations, and even those were dominated by genuine fear he had felt for his friend. He both naturally and purposefully let that come through in his description to cover his other feelings.

"Midoriya, I am not sure if you have noticed, but during this whole discussion you have not expressed feeling any fear for your own safety. Were you not afraid with actual villains trying to kill you?"

"It... was a shock at first, but I didn't have time to fear... for myself."

"Only others?"

"Yes."

"You were focused on their safety, not your own. Was that your main focus while fighting?"

"Yes. Why are you asking about this?"

"Are you aware of the level of injuries you inflicted?"

"Yes."

"In other areas the villains suffered severe frostbites and dangerous levels of electric shocks, but the storm dome where you fought had by far the most severely injured villains with burns, piercing wounds from shrapnel, and broken bones. It is miracle none of them seem to be in danger of dying anymore."

"They tried to kill Toshi... and Tokoyami. THEY are lucky they failed."

"Why is that?"

"Because I would have kille..." Izuku paused. With the Calm Mind there hadn't been the emotions that would have usually stopped him from blurting out the words.

"You would have killed them?" Tsukauchi asked and discreetly slid his hand forward on the table to touch Izuku's. It was too late to make up a different response.

"Probably," he responded truthfully. "There have been a couple of times T... my friends have been threatened or in danger. Those times are a bit of a haze, but I... I know I would kill to keep them safe, and they know that much. At USJ I had enough time to aim in front of the attackers and not at them with my explosive attacks to not kill them, but I wouldn't risk Hitoshi's safety to spare the villains from the shrapnel. It stopped most of them at once."

"And the one whose quirk you took?"

The words didn't hold any more judgement than the previous comments on the violence Izuku had inflicted on the villains, but the other police officer seemed tenser and stared at Izuku more constantly.

"I barely stopped him from decapitating Tokoyami. Then he tried to kill Hitoshi. I was too slow. The only way I could have stopped him in time was to aim to kill and... That time Dark Shadow was faster, but the villain could still have gotten back into the air so I stopped him and took his quirk."