Chapter 20: Evaluation

After giving his instructions Aizawa left the sports field without further discussion. He thought about looking back to see how the students were reacting to the day, especially one white haired one, but didn't want to seem too interested. He had definitely gotten reactions out of the boy for sure, but probably had not made his job easier. Aizawa stepped around the corner of the sports hall and stopped, sighing as he came face to face with the number one hero.

"That was quite the dirty trick. Are you trying to turn him against us?"

"If today was enough to do that he would already be a lost cause," Aizawa responded. "I needed to see what he is really like. Some pressure tends to make people expose more of themselves than they otherwise would."

"So, what do you think about the boy?"

"He could be a great hero. He has plenty of power and showed signs of the capability to care and sacrifice for others. Although he has only show that with his friends so far and he did react to my challenges with more hostility than I expected. He also has no problem making his opinion clear when he thinks something is wrong. I may need to be more careful with my usual teaching approaches. We can't rely on any respect for authority or trust unless we earn it by his standards."

All Might opened his mouth to say something.

"If you want to talk about this matter, we should head to principal Nezu's office first. I don't want to repeat everything twice."

They walked to the principal's office where Nezu invited them in right away.

"So how did the new students do in your test?"

"They have potential, but that isn't what you are really interested in is it."

"True. Tell me everything that happened with Midoriya."

"Are you trying to tell me you weren't watching?" Aizawa said.

"It is the first day and I am the principal. There is a lot of ceremony I need to attend," Nezu responded.

Aizawa kept staring at him without flinching.

"I only saw some parts," Nezu added, holding up a phone, "and the cameras don't record sound, something about privacy regulations. I did see he utilized his quirk and would like to hear more."

"Fine," Aizawa agreed and explained the day's events.

"I didn't expect him to use his quirk so soon at school," Nezu said, "but that only shows it can be used heroically despite what the All For One we've known might have used it for in the past. That is good for us to remember."

He glanced at All Might.

"The problem is guiding him in the right direction. Sounds like he is not the most receptive to your teaching."

"It is nothing we didn't expect," Aizawa said. "The most surprising part was how vocal and open he is about his views. I can respect being the only one with the guts to talk back, no one else in the class dared to do so, but it might also become a problem if his views contradict with the law. He could be a vigilante just as easily as a hero or a villain, especially since he seems to be more interested in his friends becoming heroes than himself."

"That would still be a possible path towards becoming a second All For One," All Might added. "Especially if his experiences make him feel the society should change as he wants."

"Have you considered that maybe it should?" Aizawa said. "Just because things being as they are let you become famous and successful doesn't mean it is good for everyone."

All Might fell silent, looking at Aizawa who rubbed his neck and sighed.

"You should spend more time in dark alleys, poor parts of town, with people who aren't pro heroes or just away from cameras."