Chapter 24: Payback

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Izuku watched, his entire class around him, as Mitsuki stepped outside of the UA gate. She was walking slowly with fear in every individual step like she was stepping into a minefield. She probably wished she did. At least it is possible to avoid mines if you were careful. As she took the first step outside the gate the two lawyers took a step forward and the woman held the folder with both hands.

"Mitsuki Bakugo?" she asked.

"Y... yes," usually so strong willed Mitsuki stuttered.

"We are here as the legal representatives of Hisashi and Izuku Midoriya in the numerous cases of harassment, slander, bullying, threats of violence, assault, illegal quirk use and attempted murder committed by your son, along with your own responsibility of damages both physical and psychological as his parent. We have been instructed by the Midoriya family to ensure that all these crimes and any other inappropriate actions are prosecuted and punished to the greatest extend allowed by law," she paused for a moment. "Regardless of the costs to either party. You shouldn't need more than forty- or fifty million yen... for the first round of lawsuits."

"You, you can't be serious. That would bankrupt us"

"Yes. Of course, your son won't be able to help you with the costs since his most recent actions have taken place at an age where he is eligible for full criminal prosecution and penalties including imprisonment. Seems both of you forgot that schools and parents aren't the only institutions that are supposed to keep him responsible for his actions."

"No..."

"In addition to Katsuki Bakugo's actions," the man spoke, "the illegal acts and failures of every educational institution he has attended simultaneously with Izuku Midoriya will be similarly prosecuted, though they can avoid the most serious of consequences by correcting their failure to report Katsuki's crimes by acting as witnesses in his and his family's lawsuits. Naturally we expect these witness statements to be made public along with the lawsuits and records corrected. Your son will be famous, just not for the reasons he dreamed of."

"Though we don't expect said fame to help with your legal expenses either," the woman added.

"You can't do this!" Mitsuki nearly screamed and spun around. "Midoriya you..."

She paused seeing Izuku's cold yet empty stare lacking in emotion. Remains of his earlier burst of rage were still shimmering within, but he would have much preferred to lay on his bed and go to sleep. Still, he felt this was one moment he had to witness, if not for any other reason, then to protect others from Bakugos' possible reactions.

"To be clear by Midoriya san's instructions we will keep pursuing legal action until your family can't be said to have future or legacy worth mentioning, except as a warning example of where bad parenting can lead," the woman continued. "Midoriya san asked us to say he did warn you."

"I... I have to talk with him. There has to be an alternative to all this."

"He has specifically stated he will not be talking with you, and I would recommend leaving his son alone as well," the woman said. "That being said, there is a second alternative. Midoriya san has laid out exact conditions under which he is willing to retract his legal actions as long as you and your family follow them to a letter. I can read the conditions for you but know this. There is NO room to negotiate. You can either accept by end of the week or spend the next decade in court. The settlement will additionally be enforced by contract fine of one hundred million yen if any in your family violate it, in addition to immediate restatement of the lawsuits of course."