Chapter 37

Night fell over the busy streets of Jump City. Cars were honking, teens were running around causing mischief, and adults were dressing up for whatever it was they had planned for the evening. On the roof of one of the large buildings stood a teenager wearing her usual black and white outfit. She was about to glance at the watch on her wrist when who she was expecting jumped down onto the roof.

"You're early, Nightshade." The low voice of the man in front of her said. "Let's make this quick, Slade." Night said as she placed her hands on her hips. "Have somewhere better to be?" Slade asked with a raised brow behind his mask. "Actually, yes. Yes I do." Night said before looking at her watch. "I am precisely 30 minutes late to fucking your mom. Can we get on with this?" She said with a monotone voice before gesturing towards the large metal case in Slade's hands.

"If you wouldn't mind, I'd like my information first." Slade said as he glared at the girl behind his mask. Night rolled her eyes before crossing her arms over her chest. "That's not how this works, Slade. You wanna play my game, you have to follow my rules. Now would you be so kind as to hand it over?" Night asked holding her hand out still waiting for the metal case to be placed in her hand. "Who said we were playing your game?" Slade asked making Night roll her eyes before pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Dude...it is seriously not the day and I am definitely not the bitch." Night said before glaring up at Slade. "I know about four different people that could have done what I've asked of you. You wanted information about people that you haven't been able to get." Night stated while Slade glared at her. "Your end of the deal was just...how do I put this...convenient for me. Now hand it over." Night said to the man. Her eyes filled with nothing but boredom and annoyance.

The man in front of Night continued to glare at her as he handed over the case. Night's previously annoyed state almost instantly vanished as a giddy smile was plaster underneath her mask. Her eyes sparkled as salmon roses bloomed in her hair deep inside her hood and under her mask. Night quickly unlatched the top of the case and peered inside. Her once excited smile turned into a pout as she looked at the contents in the case.

"Did you even listen to a thing that I asked of you?" Night's voice came out harsher and deeper as she raised a brow at the man standing across from her. "That is rather insulting don't you think?" Slade asked as his voice deepened. "While I don't doubt the technological aspects, the design itself is what I'm referring to." Night said as she stared down at the contents inside the case. Her eyes continued to scan the inside of the case before a defeated sigh left her mouth.

"I'll accept these, but seeing as I have to make a few changes to them myself, you'll only be receiving some of what I've gathered." "That wasn't part of our deal." Slade said as he tried to control his anger. "Yeah, well maybe you should have paid more attention to what I wanted." Night said with a shrug of her shoulders before locking the case back up.

"She's making her way towards Jump City. I suggest you prepare yourself for her. She seems to be quite the handful. She'll probably be in the city in about two days...three if she rests longer than normal." Night said as she held the case by her side. "And the other one?" Slade asked only for Night to let out a small scoff.

"You didn't listen to my requests. Not to mention, I happen to have become acquaintances with Miss Persephone Bloom. With my new found...what's the word...admiration for the girl, I'll need something even bigger and better in exchange." Night said and Slade was able to make out the smirk coming from under her mask.

"I did not take you as someone that could be so cunning. I rather hate to admit it, but I might've earned a small amount of respect for you, Nightshade." Slade said as he thought about Night's morals. "How about we try this again next week? Bring me information, some sort of gadget I'd like, or a decent amount of money and I might be able to recall a thing or two about her. What do you say?" Night asked holding her free hand out for him to shake.