Memories

Anastasia's POV

These past few months I have had the most exhilarating moments in my life. Ekaterina and I have had multiple successful missions, and I am on a high from all of them. It had been a few since I last felt this amount of power and control, and to be honest, it's quite thrilling. I've always loved to feel in control; the fear that people feel when they see my eyes... it's just so addictive. I love it.

Ina and I are just at the top of the world and no one can bring us down. I adore working with Ina, she's just extraordinary. She knows me, she knows who I am, and I'm not scared of being judged. She understands me and loves me unconditionally. Honestly, I couldn't have asked for a better friend. We are closer than ever and I just love her so fucking much. She's got my back, you know? She's got mine and I've got hers.

I... I've got hers... just like I used to have Scarlett's. It's been months and I still find myself wondering about my Scarlett, well, she's not my Scarlett anymore. I made sure of that. I would be lying if I said I didn't regret my words that night. I miss her, every day. I really do. But at least I know she's safe. I still have some of my men looking after her, and they'll continue to look after until the day I die. I messed up and I can't go back in time so I'll have to conform with just knowing she's safe. I've thought about calling her... about a month after I left the States I had to change phone numbers for security reasons, and I never gave her my new number however, I have hers. After starting our search for those involved with the Institute, I thought it would be safer if I didn't contact her. I was too scared that if I did, someone would find her and would hurt her or Rose. I couldn't let that happen so I just disappeared from her life faster than I had entered it. It was hard, extremely hard, but it had to be done. At the end, she was better off without me. I hurt her badly even though I never meant to. I never deserved her. I still don't. How could I? How could a monster like me deserve her? The worst part is that I enjoy being a monster. That's why Ekaterina is the only person that will ever truly love me. She understands what being a monster is like, we were raised to be nothing more than that.

Next week, it's Scar's birthday. I've been thinking about it a lot and even though we are over, I still care for her a lot. I want to send her something, a little gift. I know I shouldn't but it can't hurt, can it? I just... I know she must be having a hard time, Ekaterina told me she had decided to sue Colin for domestic abuse a few months ago and soon, it'll be over. I know she must be nervous and even anxious. Probably even scared, but I will make sure she's safe. Colin will never lay a finger on her again. No, I won't hurt him, for now... but my men will make sure he doesn't get anywhere near her just like they have these past months. Scarlett doesn't know they're following her but I think it's better that way.

— 3 days later —

Third Person's POV

Both Anastasia and Ekaterina were sitting down on the living room area in a hotel room in Bulgaria. They had finished a mission the day prior and were "taking the day off". The model kept staring at her phone, looking at the phone menu, Scarlett's name on the screen. Ekaterina was finishing some work she had back at her firm but couldn't entirely focus due to a clearly upset Anastasia; closing her laptop abruptly and with a what-is-it expression, the lawyer sighed and spoke "Если ты продолжишь пялиться на нее, она отрастит лицо и начнет плакать. (If you keep staring at it like that it'll grow a face and start crying)". "Заткнись. (Shut up)" Anastasia said rolling her eyes and putting her phone face down on the table. Giving a stern look at the model, the lawyer waited for her friend to blurt everything out. "У неё скоро день рождения, и я знаю, что мы не в расчете, и я последний человек, которого она хотела бы услышать, но я скучаю по ней. (It's her birthday soon and I- I know we didn't end up in good terms and I'm the last person she would want to hear from but I miss her)" Tia externalised what was on her mind. Ina, now fully focused on the conversation, tried to read her friend's mind "Каков твой план? Ты хочешь позвонить ей? Никогда не знаешь, она может ответить. (What's your plan? You want to call her? You never know, she might reply)". "Нет, я не могу ей позвонить, это было бы слишком рискованно. (No, I can't call her, that would be too risky)" Tia said while shaking her head. "Любимая, мы оба знаем, что ты можешь позвонить ей. У нас есть безопасные способы связаться с ней. Если ты не чувствуешь себя готовой, это нормально, но если ты хочешь, ты можешь. (Love, you and I both know you can call her. We have secure ways to contact her. If you don't feel ready, that's okay, but if you wanted to, you could)" Ina responded, not allowing her friend to make up excuses. It's okay to not be ready. Ekaterina understood and saw how much it affected Tia to leave Scarlett. It doesn't matter who ended or not the relationship, it didn't make it less painful for the model, and in the middle of all of that she had neglected her friendship with Elizabeth. "Я не могу позвонить ей... я не заслуживаю ее, ей лучше без меня. Посмотри на нас, мы только что убили З человека вчера! Я просто... Я просто хочу, чтобы она знала, как мне жаль, за всю боль, которую я причинил. (I can't call her... I don't deserve her, she's better off without me. I mean look at us, we just killed 3 men yesterday! I just... I just want her to know how sorry I am, for all the pain I inflicted)" was the model's reply.