THIRTEEN

ROBIN'S MORNING THE next day was dreadful. she spent most of it by a toilet, as she had done the morning following the party months ago. only this time, nancy wasn't accompanying her, due to the fact that she was still sleeping.

by the time nancy woke up, it was almost noon. she found robin and steve on the couch, both of them eating a bowl of cereal while watching something on the tv.

"morning," nancy greeted with a yawn, leaning against the couch above them.

"hey, sleepyhead," steve replied, glancing up at nancy. "you hungover"

"not really"

"robin's had a horrible hangover all morning"

"awful," robin added, taking another bite of cereal.

"you okay, though? besides the hangover?" nancy asked, referring to the night before when robin was crying about vickie.

"yeah, i'm okay. just typical breakup feelings, y'know? or at least i think they're normal. she was my first girlfriend, so i dont really know"

"yeah, it's normal," steve assured her, glancing at nancy.

"what was that look for?" nancy questioned, raising an eyebrow at him.

"i'm referencing the time you broke my heart"

"aw you still haven't recovered from that, stevie?" robin teased, laughing.

"i have! i was just trying to make a joke," he looked at the two of them, "y'know...lighten the mood"

"your attempt was unsuccessful"

"but you laughed!"

"yeah, at you. not with you," robin told him, laughing again. he jokingly flipped her off in return.

robin's phone buzzed and she picked it up. she hadn't gotten on her phone the whole night before, and she had yet to get on it this morning. therefore, she had a lot of missed notifications, and most of them were from vickie.

thirty missed texts. fifteen missed calls.

robin quickly opened them, reading each one. most of them were her apologizing, saying it was a mistake. there were a few 'i miss you' and 'please take me back' texts as well. but both robin's heart and jaw dropped when she read the last text.

i'm in love with you. please, i'm sorry.

robin was frozen, unsure of what to do. steve saw her expression, which made him curious. he looked over robin's shoulder at the screen and his jaw also dropped when he saw the text.

"holy shit," steve said in shock, making nancy look up from her phone.

"what?" nancy asked. steve pointed at robin's phone, and nancy looked at the text. "oh my god"

"earth to robin," steve waved his hand in front of her face, "hello? earth to robin"

"what?" robin finally replied, looking at steve.