FOUR

WHEN ROBIN FINALLY checked her phone, it was 3 hours after vickie sent a message. she immediately opened it, wishing she had looked earlier. when she read vickie's message, her jaw dropped.

"rob? are you even listening?" steve said, annoyed. "what are you you looking at?"

when robin didn't answer his question due to still being frozen in shock, he took it upon himself to look at the text over her shoulder. he read the messages and gasped.

"robin!! i told you she liked you!!"

"holy shit," robin finally spoke. "and HOLY SHIT! she sent that 3 hours ago. and i never saw it. she probably thinks i hate her. oh my god"

"rob, breathe," steve reminded, putting a hand on her shoulder to calm her down. "just text her back. explain that you were at work and didn't see it. tell her that you like her too"

"i don't know what to say!"

"i just said- nevermind. just give me your phone"

steve took her phone from her and typed a message to send. he typed 'omg i'm so sorry i'm at work', then handed the phone back to robin.

"now, tell her you like her back"

robin took a deep breathe before sending her message.

robin:
omg i'm so sorry i'm at work
but i like u too :)
a lot

"what if she's just pranking me, though?" robin asked steve a minute after sending her text.

"robin. she isn't pranking you. why can't you believe a girl would like you?"

"i don't know," she sighed, running a hand through her hair. "i just wish i could be normal. maybe if i was normal i'd feel better about myself"

"you are normal," steve wrapped his arm around her. "besides the fact that you're a nerd"

"the same nerd you tried asking out a year ago," robin laughed.

"i thought we said we would stop bringing that up!"

"you said 'can we stop bringing that up' and i said no"

"i thought that was a joke!"

"nope," she teased, smiling at him.

her phone buzzed in her pocket, and the screen displayed a notification from vickie. she opened it, looking at the message.

vickie:
would you wanna go on a date with me tomorrow?
maybe the 4th of july fair? it's the last day for it

robin showed the message to steve, who told her to say yes. she texted vickie back with a simple yes and a smiley face after it, and smiled to herself.

-

"hey, wanna come home with me?" steve asked as they were closing the store.

"yeah, sure," robin said, flipping the sign. "but i can't be over for long tomorrow. i'm gonna need a while to get ready"

"is it alright if i have a few more people over?"