Drifting apart

Jiya and Abhishek had been inseparable since childhood. They were the best of friends, sharing secrets, dreams, and countless memories. But as they grew older, life took them down different paths.

Abhishek had fallen in love with a girl named Riya during their college years. She was his girlfriend now, and his world revolved around her. This new relationship had him caught up in a whirlwind of emotions, and he found himself spending more and more time with Riya.

It was around the time of Jiya's birthday that things started to change. Abhishek had been planning a surprise for Riya for weeks. He wanted her last day at college to be unforgettable, and that meant keeping everything a secret.

As Jiya's birthday approached, she couldn't help but feel a little neglected. Abhishek was usually the first one to wish her and make her day special. This year, however, things were different. Abhishek seemed preoccupied with Riya, and Jiya noticed him spending less time with her.

On the morning of her birthday, Jiya woke up with excitement, expecting Abhishek to visit her as he did every year. But as the day went on, she received no message or call from him. The silence was deafening, and it left her feeling hurt and disappointed.

Unable to contain her longing to see her childhood friend, Jiya decided to visit Abhishek's house. She rang the doorbell, and Abhishek's mother, Aunty, answered the door.

Aunty: (warmly) Jiya, it's so nice to see you! Come on in.

Jiya stepped inside, feeling a mix of emotions. She had been friends with Abhishek for so long that visiting his home was like second nature to her.

Aunty: (whole-heartedly) Happiest Birthday my babyyy!! Love you soo muchhh

Jiya: (faintly smiling) Thank you aunty

Aunty: (concerned) Is everything alright, dear? You look a bit upset.

Jiya hesitated, not wanting to burden Abhishek's family with her feelings.

Jiya: (forcing a smile) Oh, Aunty, I'm fine. I just wanted to see Abhishek. Is he home?

Aunty: (apologetic) I'm afraid he's not. He was out all night, Where is he!! I think right now he is with riya

She felt like an outsider in her own best friend's life.

Jiya: (feigning enthusiasm) Oh aunty! The whole night he was with me, we were celebrating my birthday!! I'll come back later, when he comes back home after he meets riya

Aunty: (sympathetic) You should, dear. Abhishek will be back in the evening. He's been so busy with all the preparations.

Jiya left Abhishek's house, a heaviness in her heart that she couldn't shake. She couldn't believe that Abhishek had forgotten her birthday entirely, and it hurt more than she had expected.

As the day went on, Jiya received birthday wishes from her other friends and family, but the one wish she longed for the most never came. Abhishek was so immersed in making Riya's day special that he hadn't even spared a thought for Jiya.

That evening, Abhishek returned home, exhausted from the day's festivities for Riya. As he walked into his room, he noticed the calendar on his wall, reminding him of Jiya's birthday.

Abhishek's heart sank as he realized his mistake. He had let his new relationship blind him to the feelings of his oldest friend. He picked up his phone and dialed Jiya's number, his guilt weighing heavily on him. Finally, as the first rays of dawn began to break through the darkness, Jiya's phone rang once more. She stared at the screen, her heart heavy with guilt and longing. She knew she couldn't avoid Abhishek forever.