66

"No. I don't believe you." I say shaking my head and picking my pace up slightly, I hear her sighing behind me as her footsteps seem to get further and further away making me slow down until I can finally hear them again.

"Who are you going to choose?" She questions me, I laugh slightly at her idiotic question. It was clear who I was going to choose. Right? I look over my shoulder at her giving her a side glance.

"My family." I reply firmly, no hesitation in my voice making her slightly smile. I look back ahead of me as the sun begins to become more prominent. My legs were already beginning to feel weak, I didn't know if I could go much longer. Considering I haven't ate or drink anything in hours, my body wasn't doing so well.

"I packed some food." Amber says as she reaches in her bag and pulls out some sort of candy bar. I reach over and gently grab it out of her hand, I slowly open it and take a bite. The chocolate automatically awakening my taste buds, I slightly hum in enjoyment.

"Thank you. I have can food but I didn't really want to open it though. I will give you one in return." I say as I open my bag and reach my free hand in and feel around for a can. She grabs my wrist while shaking her head, I shake her off before I wrap my hand around a cold can and hand it to her.

"Here. Take it. It's the least I could do considering you help me get out." I say as she wraps her long, skinny fingers around the can and transports it into her bag. She looks back up and points to her left.

"We need to go here through the woods. It's a few miles but at the end we will be at their front gate. If we pick up speed, we should be there in maybe fifteen or twenty minutes." She reassures me as we begin to move our feet faster, of course she still stumbled behind.

After a few minutes I hear whispering, I turn back to Amber. "What? I can't hear you." I say as I slowly walk backwards while still facing her,she gives me a confused look before she stops in her tracks resting slightly.

"I didn't say anythi-" Her sentence was cut short by whistling. Fuck. "No.." She whispers, as she moves up closer behind me. I reach behind me and hold my gun tightly behind my back. The whistling was a bit close but also sounded far away, it wasn't just one person whistling from what I could tell maybe a group of five or six.

"Run." I whisper grabbing her hand, she didn't even seem to care about her ankle at this point as we take off hauling ass. "We can make it, I can see the walls up ahead." I say pointing my gun upwards at the gates outlining the woods.

The whistling slowly got further away, they must've not seen us. If they had of I know they would've already caught up considering they are in way better health than we are.

"Just a few more steps." She whispers as her eyes begin to tear up as she looks down at her ankle. We finally step out of the woods and collapse onto the road that lead up to the gates.

"We're... we're here." I say as I place my face against the cold pavement facing her, her face slowly jerks up into a smile as she closes her eyes and breathes out. She begins to laugh, making me laugh along with her.

I place my hands in front of me and lift myself off the ground until I'm sitting upright on my knees, I grab her up and begin to stand up with her helping her slightly. "Are you sure they'll let you in?" She asks.

I nod my head as I help her walk towards the gates, I look up at the lookout tower and notice nobody in there. Odd. You'd think after what they all went through they'd be keeping a lookout.

I knock on the gate making it rattle, the first thing I see is a gun being pointing at me before I see Eugene's face. His eyes widen slightly as he sees me and his grip tightens on his gun.

"Eugene. It's me, Sarah." I say wrapping my fingers around the fence. "Let me in." He slowly opens the gates letting Amber and I past him. He presses his gun against my back making my eyes slightly widen and a loud breath come out of my mouth. "Eugene."

"Remove your weapons, and put your hands up." I roll my eyes before removing my knife and gun, Amber following my movements as she lays her knife down. "Bags too." I laugh sarcastically, but follow through and lay my bag on the ground next to Amber's.

I look up and notice Rick making his way down. He stands in front of me his eyes wide as he looks me up and down, his mouth slightly open in disbelief. "You're.." He starts to say but then looks at Eugene. "Did you take their weapons?" Eugene nods his head and points at the ground. "Good. Good." He mumbles before he picks up our stuff.

"I'm going to put this up. Follow me." He says motioning for us to walk behind him. We slowly begin to walk behind him, he was acting weird. He probably didn't trust me anymore. "How did you get out?" He questions, I shrug my shoulders before looking at Amber.

"I had help." I say, "Amber helped me." I point over at her as she gives a little wave to Rick, he just looks over his shoulder before turning back giving her no gesture. "He's like that sometimes." I whisper to her making her nod her head and keep it low.

We follow Rick into the army where he lays down our weapons and opens our bags to rummage through them. "We don't have anymore weapons Rick." I say crossing my arms, I understand his worry but he's known me for years.

"Just making sure." He replies before handing us our bags back. I sling mine back over my shoulder, I look over at Amber who seemed to be scared out of her mind right now. I place my hand on her shoulder and smile at her trying to help her a little. "We have a house you two can stay in for the time being."

I quickly jerk my head in his direction. "What? I live with you though." I say, he looked up at me and shakes his head. I felt my heart drop. Was he really treating me like this after everything that we've been through together.

"The house is at the very end on the right, I'll have Aaron show it to you girls. Stay put until I get back." He replies as he sets down the guns. I scoff and cross my arms over my chest as I stare up at him. "Don't give me that look Sarah."

"Why are you treating me like a stranger? You know me Rick." I say stepping slightly in front of him, he uses his arm and pushes me out from him slightly making me know into Amber before he makes his way to the armory doors.

"I don't know you."