26

It can't be. No not her. Not now. Not here. I feel the tears welling up in my eyes, soon enough they would begin to spill over my glossy, brown eyes. I watch Deanna, or well what was her, stagger over towards us. Carls arm grabs me back and puts me behind him, I feel the heat radiating from his skin.

"I told you to go." He says sternly as he whips his knife out and makes his way towards her. I grab his arm pulling him back towards me, his face scrunches up in confusion and anger as he waits for my explanation. I stare in front of me at the woman who laughed, the woman who talked and gave wise advice, and the woman who lived.

I gently grab Carl's hand and grab the knife placing it in my own, I take a few steps forward and feel as Carl barely grabs the back of my shirt dragging me back to him.

"Sarah no." He says trying to grab the knife from my hand but I just shake him off ignoring his commands.

"It should be me." I whisper as I feel his grip loosen, if he understood one thing it would be this. I take a few steps forward, Deanna's once beautiful blue eyes were yellow and bloodshot. No life behind them, not a single memory or thought. I keep a straight face as a few tears fall from my eyes, I can already feel my nose turning red as it does when I cry.

"I'm sorry." I whisper before digging Carl's knife into her skull, I slowly pull it out as blood pours from her new wound. I watch as she falls backwards and hits the ground with a loud thump. I turn to Carl after wiping my tears off my face, I motion my head towards Deanna and he immediately understood.

He walks over and places his hand on my cheek before leaning down giving me a kiss on forehead. He slides his hand off my cheek and walks up to the head of Deanna before scooping her up in his arms.

"We take her back and bury her inside the walls. I'll start digging when we get there." I say before turning away from the sad sight and walking back down the pathway we had just came from.

Carl stays quiet following close behind, I hang my head low but keep my ears open just in case. I hear a branch snap and immediately jerk my head up and pull my gun out of my holster.

"Sorry.. That was me." Carl whispers, I can feel his eyes piercing through the back of my head as I continue walking. I finally see the gates, quickly I run over and hit on them.

"Eugene open these gates now hurry." I say, I watch as Eugene peers out of the corner of the gate eyeing me up and down. "Open the fucking gate now." I mumble, in no time he jerks the gate open apologizing profusely.

Ignoring him I walk in Carl right behind me, I notice as the community walks closer to us, some begin to drop to their knees at the sight of their beloved leader dead. I notice her son, Spencer, standing on his porch trying to get a closer look. He quickly realizes and his mouth opens and I can read his lips saying mom.

He jumps over the railing and runs towards us his feet almost couldn't catch up with him. He grabs her from Carl's arms and holds her close to him as he cries, his tears slowly drop down onto her raggedy and torn clothes staining them. He slowly falls to his knees, I step away gently grabbing Carl's flannel pulling him with me giving Spencer the space and time he needed to grieve.

Everyone hangs their heads low as they make their way back into their houses, sobs can be heard from each and every direction. Carl grabs my hand, squeezing it tightly as we begin to walk away back to our house. We notice everyone sitting on the porch, seemingly talking amongst themselves.

Rick's attention snaps to someone behind us, I turn around noticing Abraham, Sasha, and Daryl making their way directly behind us. Carl drags me up the steps, before leaning against the railing as we watch the other three pass us and stand in front of everyone.

They exchange looks between the three of them as if they were hiding a secret of some sort. Daryl slowly nods his head as to urge one of them to say something, Sasha looks up at Abraham and nods her head, her eyes scan his facial expressions. He looks back at Sasha a serious look controlling his face as he nods and looks at Daryl before nodding once more. He clasped his hands together and rubs them gentle before taking a step up to stand in the middle of the porch.

Abraham coughs to clear his throat before speaking. "We might have a bit of trouble, I'm not sure but I want to warn everyone just incase this dude is the real shit." He says looking around at everyone before laying his eyes on Rick.

"We were on the road and got stopped by some dickheads on motorcycles. They were claiming our stuff went to their boss. We didn't figure out much since Daryl blew their nuts off. But this dude seems to have a big group of people by the way he was talking."

I feel Carl squeeze my hand, as he looks down at me gently smiling so I wouldn't worry. I lay my head on his shoulder as I listen to Abraham ramble on about their meeting and how big of dicks they were and how he didn't give a monkeys left nut about them.

"Do you at least remember the guys name that was their boss?" Rick says leaning up from his previous spot, taking a few steps in front of Abe. He nods and looks around at everyone once more before speaking yet again.

"Some asshole named Negan."