Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Nuri

The next morning, we were out of the house early enough that we could watch the sunset together. It was beautiful and breathtaking as I marveled at the view. Even though we could see the sunset from the sunroom, I never woke up in time to see it, which was odd as I had always woken up before Josiah. But, now, I was able to sleep in and catch up on the sleep I missed throughout the years.

Once I finished marveling, Mizail led me through the empty tribe with his hand engulfing my own. It felt weird to see nobody casually walking the paths or selling something in the square. The few Aloreans we did see were just guards who all looked at us oddly before bowing as we passed. I had questioned Mizail on their odd behavior after the fifth time, and he informed me that they were showing respect for me as we were partially mated. He went on to say that I beared his scent or, in simple terms—after my incredulous look—I smelled like him. Our scents were mixed together after mating several times. And even though I felt kind of embarrassed, I felt a sense of pride rush through me.

We finally made it to our first destination, which happened to be the temple. It had been the largest building on the square, painted a warm beige color with a large double wooden door that seemed to be the same shade yet slightly darker. This building contained a few makeshift windows that scaled up its high walls, possibly hinting at upper floors. A grassy path, surrounded by small bushes, led up to the double doors. I had looked around for the healer's hut as Mizail had said it was near, but it was nowhere in sight.

When I questioned him on it, he stuck to his words and showed me—by picking me up and flying into the air, much to my surprise—that the healer's hut was just a flap of his wings away. But, if I were walking, it was much further than he suggested. Once he was done showing me, he led me into the temple as I glanced around at my surroundings. Unlike every home I've been in, the floors and walls of the temple were different. Instead of the smooth rock floor, clear tile greeted our feet. Beneath those clear tiles, though, were decorations of sort that looked like paint and confetti as they swirled into patterns and glimmered against the flames on the walls. Each different colored flame was encased in its own glass container upon the white walls, where various patterns were painted in their own different colors as well.

"What do the patterns mean?" I inquired as Mizail stopped in his steps while softly smiling at me.

"Each pattern—both here and there—," He pointed from the wall to the floor, "represents an Alorean that has passed on. After a sacred ceremony has been performed, members of their family would come here and paint their loved ones tribal markings onto the wall in their color." He paused while I took in all of the information before glancing down the long hall where every wall and tile were covered in patterns. "Amongst all of these beautiful patterns lays my older brother's." He confessed as I swore I almost got whiplash from how fast I turned to look at him. He was gently moving his finger over a few patterns near us with that same soft smile on his face.

"But, your mom never said anything to me about him." I sputtered out as he nodded.

"It's her way of coming to terms with it, especially around my lorno." He softly shook his head. "Shall we move on?" He asked while holding out his hand to me as I nodded before accepting. He squeezed my hand softly with that same smile on his face as I smiled back at him. His sudden change of conversation left no room to ask any questions. I understood this as I gave his hand a squeeze back before we continued down the hall, the patterns now taking a new meaning.

Focusing back on my surroundings, I noticed how the hallways seemed to loop around and curve after a few steps. There were no doors, just white walls and clear tiles covered in so many patterns. As I thought we were going to wind down the forever winding halls, Mizail suddenly stopped at a dead end where the wall wasn't covered in patterns. Instead, what looked like cavemen drawings of mountains filled the wall from floor to ceiling. Looking closer, though, I could make out well hidden writing that I've never seen before. Just as I was about to turn and ask Mizail what they meant, he slowly raised our hands towards the wall before spreading mine flat against it as his much larger one covered it.