Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Mizail

Being split up into groups wouldn't have been so bad had it not been for my lorno doing everything possible to split me and Nuri up while trying to push Azora at me. Though my little mate agreed to go with him and his group of like-minded people, I was much more relieved when Adai volunteered as well. Her and Ahmaer were a blessing in disguise because during the entire separation, Adai made sure she told him everything that happened, and in turn, he told me.

"You're not even paying attention to me!" Azora whined as I was more focused on what Ahmaer was telling me.

"Adai said her and Nuri have been split off from the group. The rest are just watching as our mates take down those creatures." He explained as I struggled to reign in my wings. This was outrageous! Why were they so bent on making my mate suffer? Because she looks like a human? She was nothing like the humans who killed off waves of the inhabitants on this planet! She didn't deserve the hate she was receiving. "Nuri took down two Santers by herself while Adai took down a Gourit. She said there's only two Santers left."

"That's my girl. They make a good team." I beamed with pride as Ahmaer quietly shook his head with a laugh. I turned back to the several groups who had already hunted their prey and came back with it. Some had bundles of two, and some had one. They had all been checking their kills when one of the warriors pointed a talon off into the distance.

"What's that?" He asked as I turned to look in that direction. Thick fire curled up in the air before spreading its wings as it dropped down towards the sand. Not even a second later, sand and bits of creature flew into the air, spewing everywhere in that direction. It was too far to see what the fire had come into contact with, but I felt it in my bones. It had something to do with Nuri.

"Ahmaer, has Adai said anything to you? Was that them?" I questioned, panicking as his eyes glazed over for a few seconds before he came back with a surprised look on his face. "What is it? What's wrong?"

"Adai said that was your mate. Two Santers had joined together, and Nuri disposed of it. Adai said she inspected Nuri for any signs of injuries but found none. Your lorno has appeared again, yelling as usual, but your mate isn't paying him any mind." Ahmaer chuckled at the last part as I puffed my chest with pride. My mate was as string as she said she was.

"Tell them to bring back their kills. We'll send somebody to run that back to the tribe." I commanded as Ahmaer nodded while I turned back to the crowd of warriors who awaited my answer. "That was your leader. She killed two conjoined Santers by herself." I boomed, too proud to care what her team had thought. "Adai has even taken down a Gourit by herself! Our tribe shall feast upon our return!" I smiled while clapping Ahmaer’s shoulder as Azora approached us.

"Do you really believe some mere human took down conjoined Santers without any help? I'm sure Adai helped her out." She sneered as I stared down at her with this overwhelming feeling of disgust.

"No, it was just Nuri." Ahmaer intervened while Azora ignored him.

"I'm sure your lorno and the others helped her, but your loyal dog keeps lying through his fangs. Nobody asked him to be in this conversation." She huffed while changing up her whole demeanor as I could smell my mate near. Her sweet yet warm scent surrounded me as I quickly brushed off Azora to go meet her. When I finally reached her, I swooped her off her feet while inspecting her. She was covered from head to toe in blood and guts, but she silenced my worries with a smile. Her kisses washed away my worries and anxiousness of her being away and grouped with the people who hated me the most. She didn't even let them bother our time together. It felt like it was just us, off in our own little world, swapping kisses and laughing. But, our time was cut short, and I knew it was time for her to go again.