Chapter 16

Chapter 16
Nuri

Sighing, I strolled along the many paths leading towards the square as Mizail preoccupied my thoughts. Had it not been for my therapy sessions with Lyrasso, I don't think I would've kept my calm. Just being around Mizail made me nervous but not like how I was with my ex husband. This was a new type of feeling, one that had me hoping I'd see Mizail everyday.

"There's no need to worry, I'll be spending the mating season with Mizail. We've already talked about it today." An all too familiar voice pulled me from my thoughts as I pushed the hood back off my head. The closer I got to the square, the more I heard. "We even talked about our sacred ritual. That human doesn't have a chance with my mate." Laughter followed soon after as I approached the square to find Azora and a good sized crowd of Aloreans gathered. Some were shopping while most were listening in on Azora's nonsense. "Speak of the Louzit and it shall appear." She laughed while turning her gaze on me as did the large crowd.

"Well hello all." I greeted while stopping in my tracks as some whispered and some greeted. A good majority of these Aloreans I've helped out over the last few days. "Please, continue your conversation as if I'm not here."

"No need. You're here now so I can properly put you in your place without being interrupted by my mate's lapdog." She growled as I raised an eyebrow at her. Was she referring to Ahmaer? "You should go find somebody else to trail behind besides my mate. Do you know that we've already slept together? That makes him mine." She smiled triumphantly as I stared at her.

"Okay, would you like a cookie or something for your...accomplishment?" I questioned as quiet laughter echoed through the crowd. "You also shouldn't be referring to Ahmaer as Mizail's lapdog. He's his own person. But, I am talking to a woman who claims somebody else's mate as her personal belonging, like he's some type of trophy. Mizail is as much a person as you and I." I sighed while standing tall even though Azora was much taller than me. She stepped closer towards me while growling as I stood my ground.

"You are not his mate, human." She spat, each word dripping with venom as I smiled up at her.

"I am and I will be spending the upcoming mating season with him, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't go around lying." I bit back with the sweetest grin on my face as she rushed towards me, pushing past the stunned Aloreans.

"I will make you eat your words, human!" She roared as her face morphed more into a dragon the closer she got. Just as she was a few steps away from me, fire roared around me, knocking Azora onto her ass.

"Though I look like a human, I actually have a name." I sighed while taking a step forward as the flames flicked outwards in Azora's direction. "I know you're all dragons and a majority of you deal with fire but this one is different. If it touches you, it'll eat away at your scales until it gets down to your bones. Once there, it'll eat those too. It won't be satisfied until it takes you whole." I warned while taking another step forward. Azora moved back from my flames as I smiled. "Even your soul will be consumed and you'll live in the flames for the rest of eternity with the rest that it's consumed."

"You're just talking!" Azora shouted but there was fear in her eyes as a few people helped her up.

"Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. Would you like to find out?" I asked while stepping forward as her and the rest of the Aloreans took a step back. "You're a pretty dragon, I'm sure you wouldn't mind." I smiled as she huffed before crossing her arms over her leather dress.

"I don't have to stand here and listen to this! I have things to do in preparation for my sacred ritual!" She shouted before turning and leaving as some of the crowd left as well. Laughing quietly, I dispersed the flames as one of the Alorean women approached me. I've never seen her before but she smiled at me.