Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Mizail

Sighing, I stared out at the sandstorm as it had raged on for the last few hours. The sandstorm season was upon us and in many moons, the mating season would come. I had been dreading these two seasons in particular for the longest as it had been ages since I had come upon age. Old enough to find my mate, but she was nowhere to be seen. Nobody in my tribe hasn't set off the little triggers for my body to respond had they been my mate. Yet, everybody keeps throwing themselves at me. The attention was suffocating and unbearable though I've been told by several that it's a blessing.

A blessing I never asked for. A curse in disguise as they never look at me for my personality or the love I could give but for the position of ruling the tribe with me.

"There you are, Mizail. I've been looking for you everywhere." The voice of one of my closest buddies called as I turned and looked at him. He seemed to have cleaned his scales for the mission as his blue scales shone brightly against the lit fires. He was almost my height yet his horns would've made him taller than me.

"Ahmaer, do you think I'll find my mate soon?" I asked as surprise flashed through his dark blue eyes before I turned my attention back to the storm at hand. "I've passed the stage of my life where I was just a young adolescent, building my house in preparation to finding my mate. At this rate, I'll be challenged once again by that thicked skull Sfram wanting this position for his own selfish reasons. He could care less about our people." I growled as the golden tribal markings lit up my black scales before he placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Don't stress yourself, Mizail. Your mate will come to you when the time is right and I'm sure that'll be soon. Oh goddesses do I hope it's soon. My mate has told me that Azora has also been causing trouble when it comes to you. Maybe this mate of yours will put her in her place like you've done with Dralnith." He quietly laughed as I shook my head with a smile. He really had an interesting sense of humor compared to his usual stoic form. "One of these days, they're both going to end up being killed and there won't be much of them anymore. Maybe it'll end up peaceful again." He added as I sighed. I should've never touched Azora. She had it all in her head that we were mates but hated the fact that I didn't want her. I couldn't quite click with somebody as selfish and heartless as her.

So, I spent all of my days avoiding her.

"Are preparations made for this storm?" I asked while looking over at my buddy as he nodded.

"The warriors are on standby in case anything comes up or down the mountains that aren't our people or the Odeolans. The cliff has also been reinforced with our usual magic to keep the storm from entering our main tribe and those who live on the cliff as well. I'm also ready to set out with you to patrol the desert for any unusual monsters but I promised to bring along a new trainee. It'll be her first day out in the field so I thought it would be okay with your permission." He explained as I nodded before turning towards him.

"We'll set off shortly. The storm seems to be coming to a calm interval. Make sure the trainee knows the protocol in case we all get separated." I commanded as he nodded before making his way off into the bright tribe. All of the huts and major buildings had lined the square where small festivities were being held in preparation for the festival before the mating season. It was tradition that the warriors hunted plenty of food to supply the entire tribe for the mating season and to fill our bellies before the season started. It would be easier on the mated couples as they never left their huts during that time until the season had ended but this lunar year was different. The elders had predicted that starting from the next mating season on, they would grow longer. That meant that more food and supplies would have to be secured way before the season started or our people would starve. So, it was brought up in a previous meeting that we would survey the creatures during the storm and rule out whether or not they could be used for eating.