Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Mizail

Startling awake, I quietly caught my breath while trying to remember where I was and what happened. Slowly sitting up, I winced in pain while holding my right side before I felt along my stomach. Flesh no scales. Quickly raising my hands, I stared at the fleshy hands and digits that greeted me. Okay, I was in my weakened form but why? I thought while quietly looking around the room before giving up and laying back down. I was too tired to try and figure out what happened and why I was here. I'd probably figure it out after another nap. I told myself while dozing off again.

It wasn't long before I was awake again but this time, I didn't move nor open my eyes. I laid flat on my back while listening to the two new beings in my room. One was sobbing uncontrollably while the other was quietly assisting her? I wasn't sure, I didn't want to give away the fact that I was awake to them. Soon, the one that was sobbing was lying next to me, curled into my side before the room filled with quiet sniffles and low breathing. They must've fallen asleep. Slowly, I opened my eyes while staring at the ceiling before turning with caution towards the being curled up into my left side. It was a human woman who smelled like me. I couldn't stop my fingers from tracing along the soft skin of her face. It felt like I had seen this face before, kissed it, gazed upon, and dreamed of it but I couldn't quite put a name to it.

"My heart," I softly called as everything began to quickly come back like I had been hit in the head. "Nuri." I smiled while tucking a loose strand behind her ear so I could gaze upon her face more. She was alive and fine, but what happened to her to have her sobbing as hard as she was earlier? I quietly inspected her before noticing a fresh Beriti upon her wrist which meant that Yareli must've been here seeing to her wellbeing. Just as I covered her up with my blanket a few healers slipped into the room quietly before stopping in their tracks to look at me. "How is she?" I questioned before they could even get a word out of their mouths.

"This is her first time resting since she came from the accident. She refuses to eat or drink anything and also refuses healing." One of the healers announces as the other two nod. "We've been borrowing Yareli to assist us with Nuri. Yareli has put a Beriti on her for her fluid but as for her food intake, still nothing. She's been busy running the tribe in your absence."

"What all happened while I was out?" I asked as they all explained to me the events of the day without missing any detail before waiting for my word. "Where is Azora now?" The three healers looked between each other as I sat there with my arms crossed.

"Your lorna sent her and her gorno to the dungeons while the Odeolans stand guard."

"I am too weak to use my collective thoughts. Bring me Ahmaer." I ordered as one of the healer's eyes glazed over before they quickly stepped aside. It wasn't long before Ahmaer appeared in the doorway with a blank look on his usual stoic face. His eyes were red which I now know why. "My condolences to you, Ahmaer."

"Thank you." He spoke softly as that mask he wore broke a little. "She was ill, Mizail. We were going to find out that she was finally able to carry our fledgling only for Azora and those rats to go and destroy it all." He explained as smoke billowed from his nose. "Just let me have my alone time with Azora. I'll get you every last drop of information out of her as long as you give me your word that her death will be mine." He begged as I nodded.

"You already have my word, Ahmaer. I want everything but before you do, get some rest and eat something." I bargained as he stared at me, like he was thinking over his options before shaking his head.

"I appreciate your worry, Mizail, but there's no rest for me. My Adai is dead. Our growing fledgling is dead. I have nobody to go back home to. There is no need for me to rest or eat. I will have your information for you by the time the next sun rises high in the sky. Her life will be over and she will no longer be walking amongst our people." He took a deep breath as I nodded before he closed the door and left.