Chapter 17

"Jesse, we need to talk.", Elizabeth sighed once Jesse sat back beside her.

Oh no here it comes! He thought. She's going to end everything between us. He swallowed hard. "Okay. What's wrong Bethie?"

She started ringing her hands nervously. "Like I said this morning, I'm sorry for how I've been acting. You're my best friend and I do not want to lose you."

"Hey you aren't going to lose me, I told you that. ", Jesse said cupping her cheek gently causing his fingers to tingle with electricity.

"But I've been acting so awful to you lately.", she whispered near tears.

He knew he had to tell her know instead of waiting until later because seeing her crying killed him. He had to lay it all on the line. He took a deep breath and thought "he goes nothing"

"Bethie, I have to tell you something. I was planning to tell you at the bonfire but..."

Elizabeth immediately became alarmed. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong honey. I'm just really scared about what I'm getting ready to say to say to you. I need you to promise me you'll hear me out before you say anything okay?"

Elizabeth nodded. "I promise."

Jesse stared deep into her eyes. "I'm in love with you Bethie girl. Hopelessly in love."

What? I couldn't have heard that right. Elizabeth thought.

"You...you what?" Elizabeth stuttered.

"You promised to let me get this out Bethie."

Elizabeth nodded in shock.

"I love you.", he told her again sincerely. "You're the one I've been waiting for Bethie. He paused waiting for her reaction.

"J..Jesse you can't. You just can't love me.", Elizabeth said choking back sobs.

"Why can't I?", Jesse demanded

"Because just look at me!", she spread her arms out indicating her chair. "I'm no good for you. You deserve so much more. She was sobbing now.

He thumbed her tears away. "Baby you're what I want. I want you're sweet smile, your laugh. I love how you see the good in everyone."

Elizabeth's eyes turned steely with determination and she moved away from his touch. "Do you want endless back aches and doctors appointments and having to be basically a freaking shadow to a burden on wheels?"

This isn't what Jesse expected. "You won't be a burden Elizabeth. I know what all this entails and I want it. I want us to be together. "

She shook her head with tears streaming down her cheeks. " You told me the right girl for you would be your forever. Your wife. Your children's mother."

"And you can be all those things. I know you want them too. I see how you are with Skyler and my sisters. We can have all the things we have both dreamed of."

"I can't be what you need Jesse!", her shoulder shook with sobs.

Jesse felt anger and frustration building inside him. "Can't or won't?"

Elizabeth looked at him in puzzlement. "What's that supposed to mean?

Jesse got to his feet and started pacing running his fingers through his hair. He finally turned to her and said. " I know you love me too so why are you trying to throw away our future?" He needed to make her angry to get the truth from her. He wouldn't been the next things he said to her. "You know what Elizabeth Grace, you sat talk about how strong and independent your are but the truth is you're a coward! He saw the shock and hurt on her face but he had to get through to her.

Jesse jaw clenched. "We could have everything we ever wanted but you don't have enough backbone to grab hold of it."

Elizabeth wiped her tears again. Her eyes and face were red from crying. It felt like someone was crushing his heart, just because she was in such a state but also because he loved her and she just wanted to give up their future.

"I can't", she whispered.

Jesse's blood boiled. "Why the hell not! You let that bastard Eric be with you and look what he did to you! Do you think I'd be as low as him or I'm a just not good enough for you?!"

Jesse saw fight raise in her then. "No! That's not it all! I can't do this to you because you are so much better then Eric ever was! God Jesse! Do you think this easy me to turn down?! It isn't! You've made so many of my dreams come true. My god Jesse. I walked. I walked and it was all because of you! Damn it. I've even started dreaming of kids again. That was a dream that I haven't had in a long time. A boy that looks just like you that'd you teach foot ball and and guitar to. I want it so bad but I won't be a burden to you and I want have kids just so you'd have to take care of them and me too! I want have kids so I'll be the "cripple mom" they get teased because of. And you have to go to WVU and be a pediatric doctor. I won't let you throw that away! I won't!

Jesse sank to his knees beside her then and held her while she cried. "Shh Bethie girl shh. It's okay."

She pulled back and looked at him. "I can't do that to you Jesse. I just can't."

He smiled and cupped her face. "Baby you won't be a burden to me. You never have been. I love taking care of you. I want to be the one to do it because I love you. As far as kids go, you'll be an amazing mother. You take such amazing care of Sky. I don't your ability to care for them. Plus, I'll be there to help you. I want us to have what my grandparents have."

"Jesse I'm scared."Elizabeth admitted.

"What of honey?"

"If not being not being enough. I know you won't hurt me the way Eric did , but what if you get tired of every thing that goes along with me? I don't want you to give up you're hopes and dreams because of me either." She was getting teary eyed again.

"Elizabeth Grace Morgan, have you not been listening to me? I. Love. You. You're it for me. My forever My only. You are all I ever want. You. Just like you are. You're the reason I get up and go to bed with a stupid grin on my face ever day and every night. I want to make more of your dreams came true and create new ones together." He kissed her nose and continued.

"I know you're scared and that's okay. We'll take things slow. I'll wait how ever long it takes. I just wanted you to know that I love you. Give us a chance honey. No pressure. No expectations.

Just trust me this one last time. Please.", he pleaded.

Elizabeth could see in his eyes that he meant every word. "Just be patient with me okay? I know you're not like Eric but relationships still scare me.", she paused a minute then said, " but I want us to try. Together."

Jesse immediately enveloped her in in a bear hug and held her tight to chest. Elizabeth could hear the rapid beating of his heart and she thought he hear him say "Thank You God". After what seemed like forever, Jesse pulled back and kissed her tenderly his heart full of love. She cupped his face and kissed him back smiling beneath his lips when he shivered from the electric shock that she felt as well.

When they pulled back Elizabeth curled up in Jesse's lap and played with the fingers of his hand. "Thank you for not giving up on me Jesse."

Jesse intertwined there fingers. "Never baby never." He couldn't believe it! His Bethie was really his!

"I don't want the weekend to end. I love it here. Oh no!" Elizabeth said.

"What's wrong?"

I'm grounded till Tuesday. I won't be able to see you except at school." , she pouted.

Jesse just smiled and tip her head up to kiss her. "Don't worry. We'll make it work I promise. I'm never letting you go. Ever."

Authors Note: Beth and Jesse are finally together! What do y'all think? The next update probably won't be till around the 8th or so. Vote/comment. Thanks. -Missy