Cripple: Chapter Eleven

"Um Jesse, why did you steal the wheelchair from the nurses' office?", Elizabeth asked as she followed Jesse outside.

"We are going to play basketball.", Jesse answered.

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow. "Jesse, that's kinda impossible.", she said gesturing to her legs.

"Just watch.", he smiled.

When they got to the outdoor basketball court, Jesse parked the chair he had stolen in the corner of the pavement. "Can you take a few steps if I support you?"

"Yeah. but Jesse, what are you doing?"

"Trust me.", he said placing the basketball in her lap and then he put his hands under her knees and lifted her into his arms. "Trust me.", he said again. He moved his hands from under her knees and wrapped them around her waist. Elizabeth squealed a little when she felt like she would fall but Jesse moved around so that he was standing behind her with his arm around her waist. She was standing too.

"I got you Bethie girl, you aren't going to fall." Jesse whispered in her ear. "I promise. Now take slow steps. You got the ball?"

Elizabeth nodded nervously and began taking small steps. She stumbled a few times but Jesse was right behind her with both his arms around her waist preventing her from falling.

When they were a few feet from the hoop, Jesse said, " Lean back on me and rest a second Bethie girl. You did amazing."

Jesse tightened his hold on Elizabeth and smiled when she leaned back against his chest. Man he never thought he could love someone so much so quickly, but he loved this girl. He didn't care if it was cheesy or sappy sounding. It was the complete and honest truth. Helping her take those few steps had made him so proud. He wanted to be the one, and only one, to be there to help her though everything. He closed his eyes and was just content to hold her.

After a few minutes he asked," you ready for phase two?"

"What's phase two?" she asked.

"Shooting." Jesse placed his hands on top of Elizabeth's that were still holding the ball. A spark when through him as their hands made contact. Elizabeth must have felt it too because he heard her gasp quietly.

"Bring the ball up, form and arch and shoot", he said as he help her shoot the ball. It went though the net with a shoosh "See you can do this Bethie. Try it."

Elizabeth looked warily at the basketball hoop. "Um, I don't know if I can do this Jesse."

"Aw, come on the Elizabeth I know does not know the meaning of the word can't."

Elizabeth? Jesse had called her Elizabeth? Her heart dropped to the ground. She didn't like him calling him calling her by her real name, she felt special when he called her Bethie.

Jesse bit back a knowing smile when he felt her tense at him calling her by her first name. "You okay?", he said chocking back laughter.

"Yeah.", Elizabeth said as she shot the ball irritably. It bounced of the rim of the hoop. "See told ya I'd suck."

"You'll get better with practice Bethie girl.", Jesse replied as he picked Elizabeth up effortless and carried her to her wheelchair.

When he walked over and grabbed two empty garbage cans that were along the school grounds, Elizabeth raised a curious eyebrow.

"What are you doing?", she said asked as Jesse placed a garbage can on each end of the basketball court. Jesse grabbed the basketball that had rolled to the edge of the court then he walked over and plopped down into the wheelchair he'd taken from the nurse.

We are going to play wheelchair basketball.", Jesse wheeled his chair toward Elizabeth's smiling brightly.

"Jesse I- ...", Elizabeth began to protest but Jesse put his hand up silencing her.

"Bethie girl, we're playing okay? You're going to be a normal teen and play a sport."

Elizabeth nodded, speechless.

"Okay, so here are the rules. When you have the ball you can't touch your wheels more then twice without shooting the ball. Any touching of opponents wheels or arms is considered a foul and results in two fowl shots into the

garbage cans Since the "baskets" don't have holes for rebounds they opponent gets the ball after a basket is made.

"Sounds fair. Where'd you come up with the rules?" Elizabeth asked.

Jesse smiled. "I looked up the rules online ants tweaked them a bit. You ready to play? First to five points ok?"

"Bring it on.", Elizabeth grinned.

***.

"And that's game point!" Elizabeth fist pumped her arms as the ball went into the garage can. "I win!"

Jesse bit back a grin. He learned one thing for sure today. Bethie was competitive. Not the obnoxious, in your face competitive, but he could play to his full ability and she could keep up with him.

"You cheated!", Jesse teased.

"I did not! You kept fowling me. Elizabeth smiled. "Face it you got beat by a girl."

Jesse said seated in the chair and wheeled next to Elizabeth has the made their why back into the school.

"How are you going to explain taking that chair to the nurse?", Elizabeth asked.

Jesse smiled slyly, "Now Bethie, don't you remember you're spoke broke so I got you a loaner till I fixed yours?"

Elizabeth laughed. Her phone went off signaling a text. She didn't recognize the number on the screen as she pressed "Read"

You looked beautiful with the sun hitting your face. Love you always. XOXO E

A chill went down Elizabeth's spine. Eric had been watching them.

"Bethie you okay? Who was that?", Jesse asked concerned.

Elizabeth mentally shook herself. "Um, wrong number."

Jesse nodded and seemed to accept her answer.

Elizabeth looked over her shoulder unable to shake the feeling of uneasiness washing over, as she did she caught a glimpse of Eric watching her from the corner. He mouthed "I love you" and disappeared from her sight.

Author's note: sorry this is so short and that I haven't uploaded in 3 weeks but here it is. I'm still having a bit of writers block so sorry if it's awful. Comment and let me know what you think. I am going to try to start updating regularly again. -Missy