Cripple: Chapter Seven (part one)

"Jesse really I'm fine, please don't call my mom. She'll freak out and make me come home. I left early yesterday and I don't want to miss anymore classes", Elizabeth pleaded as Jesse took out his phone.

"Beth, your mom needs to know. They locked you In a closet for heaven's sake."

Jesse was furious at Ashley and Erika for what they had done to Elizabeth. He was trying to stay calm but rage boiled inside him. How could they do that to his sweet Bethie?

"I'll tell them tonight, besides you promised to take Sky and I to meet your sisters. Sky is very excited to meet them and to go to football practice with you.", Elizabeth explained.

Jesse put his phone back in his pocket with a sigh, " I did promise Skyler but you have to promise me you'll tell then Bethie. You can't keep something this serious from your family."

Elizabeth knew it was serious. She was trying to hide it but she was shaken to the core. The thought that Ashley and Erika hated her enough to bound her hands and lock her in a janitor's closet astonished and frightened her. What had she done for them to be so evil?

"I promise. I need to talk to them about physical therapy anyway."

Jesse looked at her. "What about it? Is it going okay?", he asked.

I'm not going today...or any other day, for that matter."

"What?! Why? Don't you need it for your legs?"

Elizabeth laughed a little and said, "Jesse calm down. I'm still going to do therapy but from home myself. ", she explained, " what's the point of wasting time and money for something I've been doing since four years old and I can do it myself now?", she shrugged.

"Are you sure that's a wise decision, Bethie girl? You're Daddy's gonna kill ya.", Jesse teased.

Elizabeth smiled a little. "Well if you don't see me at school tomorrow call the cops. ", she joked and he laughed.

"You need to eat those." he said pointing to the pack of vending machine peanut butter crackers in her lap that he had insisted on getting her, "you didn't get to eat lunch."

"Yes, Dad", Elizabeth mumbled sarcastically.

They were outside to her next class now. Jesse bent down to her and put his hands on the tires of her wheelchair, looking into her chocolate brown eyes, "I'm sorry Bethie girl. I don't mean to be bossy. I..I just...seeing you in that closet scared me. I know we just meet yesterday but you really are my best friend and I worry about you." , he said sincerely.

All Elizabeth could do was hug him and let silent tears fall from her eyes as he held her tightly and she soaked up his nearness and warmth.

She pulled away after awhile. "Jesse, I feel like you being friends with me is making things are for you. I feel like I'm taking you away from your life.", she bit her lip nervously.

Jesse just grinned. "You're not taking me away from anything. The only really good friends I had before you showed up were Ryan and Stef. They think you're amazing too so it's all great."

Elizabeth smiled brightly. Her first real smile since he had found her in the closet. "Well you'd better get to Math before Mrs. Kelly comes after you with a broom or casts a spell on you."

Jesse laughed and grabbed her phone turning it on vibrate and did the same to his. "I'm only a text away. " he said and turned to go to his class.

"Elizabeth are you okay?!!" Elizabeth didn't have time to answer as Stefanie and Amber wrapped her in hugs the minute the saw her sitting at a table in Mrs. Compton's science class.