Chapter Thirteen

"Wow Bethie! This are amazing!", Jesse exclaimed as he looked at the black and white pictures on her wall. After school, Jesse had came home with Elizabeth telling Mrs. Morgan that they were going to work on their English project. That was just an excuse though, Jesse really was here to talk to Mr. Morgan about the weekend but he was still at work so Jesse and Elizabeth were hang out in her room until then.

"Thanks. I love taking pictures." Elizabeth said as she sit on her bed channel surfing.

Jesse came and lay beside her on the bed and she was suddenly very aware of how close he was to her. Their hips were touching. My god he's hot. She thought then immediately admonished herself. No. No. You can't think about him that way. He's just a friend. Just a friend.

Jesse spoke breaking through Elizabeth's thoughts. "So what are we watching?"

"Well there's nothing on TV, so a DVD? Take your pick.", She nodded to the entertainment stand the TV was sitting on. There was a shelf underneath with DVD lining it.

Jesse got up and when over to it. Beth had a very large DVD collection. Everything from Twilight to Childs Play to Grease to Magic Mike. Jesse's eyebrow furrowed over that one and he quickly skimmed past it. He definitely didn't want Beth drooling over that Tatum guy while he was here with her. He finally found the perfect movie, put in the player and returned to his place beside Bethie on the bed.

As the opening music and credits started, Elizabeth recognized the movie and looked questionably at Jesse. "A Walk to Remember? You really wanna watch this? It's a chick flick."

"I think Landon is cool and his car is kick ass."

Elizabeth was shocked. " You've seen it before?" She also silently wondered who he had watched it with.

Jesse nodded. "Yeah, Ava and Bella."

Elizabeth smiled and turned her attention to the movie.

Jesse smiled as he listened to the beautiful girl beside him as she sang along with Mandy Moore to "Only Hope." He knew she didn't think he could hear so he lay quietly listening and playing gently in her hair. He loved just being near her.

Halfway through the movie Beth fell asleep and Jesse didn't have the heart to wake her. She's been through so much. Coming to a new school, being tortured by Ashlee and Erika and coming face to face with her ex boyfriend. He quietly got up careful not to wake her. He covered her with her zebra print throw and gently kissed her cheek then went downstairs wondering if Mr. Morgan was home.

As Jesse was about to enter the kitchen he heard Mr. And Mrs. Morgan talking. "He's up in her room Becca?! What are you thinking?!!", Mr. Morgan yelled.

Mrs. Morgan seemed unaffected by her husband's outburst. "Joshua keep your voice down.", she said calmly. " He's a nice boy and he genuinely cares for Elizabeth. As for the bedroom situation, you know our daughter is a good girl. You promised her you would be nicer to Jesse."

It was quiet for a beat. "I just don't want her hurt again.", Joshua said and Jesse could hear the pain in his voice.

Jesse chose that moment to walk into the kitchen. "Hi Mr. Morgan, how are you sir?" Jesse extended his hand which Mr. Morgan shook.

"Where's Elizabeth?", her father asked dropping Jesse's hand.

"She fell asleep sir. I was hoping to have a word with you and Mrs. Morgan if I may?"

"Of course, Jesse." , Mrs. Morgan smiled and gestured for the two men to take a seat at the kitchen table. Jesse started getting nervous when the were all three seated.

"Spit it out boy." Mr. Morgan said.

"Um...well sir....", Jesse sighed, "I had a speech planned but can I speak frankly?"

Both Beth's parents nodded.

Jesse took a deep breath. "I know it's only been a few days, but I love your daughter. I know you have concerns because of her disability as would any parent, but I don't see the wheelchair when I look at her. I see a smart caring girl who's been hurt. I know what happened with her ex and I promise you I won't ever hurt her or let her be hurt in my presents. I know you must be weary of me because of what those girls did to Elizabeth but I swear to you I have nothing to do with those girls." Jesse took a breath." I swear to you I will always defend her and treat her like the princess she deserves."

"Does Elizabeth know how you feel?", Mrs. Morgan asked.

"No Ma'am and I would like to keep it that way until I really earn her trust and show her that I'm not like her ex.", Jesse then turned to Mr. Morgan, " Sir, I respect Elizabeth and I wouldn't ever take advantage or pressure her to do anything she wouldn't want to do."

It was then that Joshua spoke, " Listen son, you may have feelings for my daughter but being in a relationship with someone who is wheelchair bound is not easy. There's a lot that an able bodies person can do that Elizabeth can not. She can't just pick up and go the way you can."

"Sir, I understand your concerns. My parents had the same ones when I told them about Elizabeth but I will tell you the same as I told them. I have considered everything. I want to be the one to show Elizabeth she can do things and help her to do them. I want to here for her with whatever she may need. I'm very responsible and I won't let her be hurt in any way. I want to learn all there is to know about C.P. I won't abandon her I swear to you I won't."

Joshua Morgan started at the boy in front of him. The boy had love in his eyes. Nothing like that jackass Collins who had hurt his baby." Alright son.", he said sternly," but if you cause that girl and ounce of hurt, I'll make you dread the day you're daddy looked at your mama with sparks in his eyes. "

Jesse nodded. "Yes sir. I have a question to ask though."

"What's that son?"

Well Sir, I was wondering if Elizabeth could come to my grandparents farm with myself and some friends for the weekend. My grandparents will be there of course. There's cement pathways everywhere so Elizabeth can get around. It's only 30 minutes from here."

Mr. Morgan shifted uncomfortable in his chair. " How many bed rooms are in the house and can they accommodate Elizabeth's needs?"

"Yes,Jesse answered, "the house has 3 extra rooms with tons of space. My friends Ethan, Rachel, Ryan and Stefanie will be going as well. The boys and girls will have separate rooms and the girls said they would help Elizabeth with her personal needs."

"What if we need to reach her or vice versa?"

"There's no cell service there but my grandparents do have a land line. I'll make sure she calls everyday and takes her medication." Jesse looked Mr Morgan in the eye. "Sir, today we found out that Eric Collins got a assistant teaching position at Greyson. He has made it very clear that he want Elizabeth back and I know nobody wants that to happen."

"Over my dead body", Josh said as his wife sit ashen in her seat. "She can go. Get her away from all drama.", he pointed a finger at Jesse," but you better keep her safe."

"I will sure. Um..I know Elizabeth is grounded sir, but I have football practice after school and can't ride the bus with her home".

"She can ride to and from school with you and go to the farm with you but starting next Monday she will be grounded until Tuesday." Mrs. Morgan spoke.

"Thank you Ma'am. "I ought be getting home now.", he said and they all rose to stand. "Oh and Thank you for your time and for getting Stefanie out of detention."

"We should be thanking her and Jesse please call us Josh and Rebecca.", Mr. Morgan said shaking Jesse's hand.

Rebecca hugged him and said, " Could you please send Skylar home? He's over playing with your sisters."

"Sure thing." Jesse said and excited the house. He had a huge smile on his face as he walked from Beth's yard to his.