Nine

Colorful leaves covered the pathway like a quilted blanket. Fall had finally at its peak, and Whispering Lane showed its pure, natural beauty. A squirrel in a nearby tree scurried along the limbs carrying nuts. Cold wind rustled through the tree, whispering calm words to the soon naked branches.

Mm! Do you smell that? Janessa beamed. She snuggled against Mikes arm as they strolled along the path.

Mike sniffed the air as they walked along. Smell what?

Janessa tapped his shoulder playfully. Winter silly. Winter is around the corner. I can just smell it.

Mike held her hand halting her on the spot. She turned to look at him expectantly. Is it safe to say that you are a lover of cold weather?

Janessa giggled and squeezed his hand with her free one. Well, my good man, you guessed right. I am not the Snow Queen, but Id give her a run for her money any day. She gave him a sultry look.

Mike bellowed with laughter, startling a squirrel nearby scouring for food. Just dont freeze my heart, he teased.

Never. Shall we head back?

Sure. Our guests are probably wondering where we are?

I know. What a Halloween party it would be if we just went missing? Janessa giggled at the thought.

****

A banner hung high in the lobby behind the security entrance. WELCOME BACK MR. SCOTT! it read. Sounds of applaud came from all directions as employees of Marcotts emerged. Lance appeared from amongst the gathering with a cake. Welcome back sir.

A smile formed on Mikes lips. Thank you, Lance. He turned to the rest of staff and murmured his appreciation. A sullen feeling overcame him when he noted one person missing, the only person he wished was there. Dismissing the thought, he shook his head. Desi was not worth remembering at this point, she betrayed him.

Thank you everyone. It is good to be back. Despite all that has happened, I must especially thank Lance for keeping things in order, and all of you working as a team. Thank you all, Mike said diligently. Now, back to work, all of you, he said jokingly. The gathering applauded his small speech. Taking the cake from Lance, he announced, cake on me today. They all erupted in laughter as dispersion began.

Mike sat in his office looking over sales for the past few months. Sighing heavily, he tried his best to focus on the task at hand. He was interrupted by a knock on the door. Lifting his head, he saw a woman at the threshold. May I help you?

I hope you can. I am Det. Henry and I was hoping I could have a few words with you? Unless this is a bad time? she said ushering herself into the office.

Ahh, so you are the infamous detective?

Depending on what you consider such a person to be, she said seating herself in the chair facing Mike.

Miss Henry, I am busy at the moment if you do notice, he said motioning to the files piled on his desk.

This will only take a few minutes, Mr. Scott.

Mike braced himself in his chair, looping his fingers to the back of his head. Tension ran through his hands when they grazed the scar. I assume this is about the night I was attacked?

Yes sir. That and the missing diamond.

That night has been a blur, but Ill try my best to help you.