Five

The weekend came and went. Michelle was transferred from the ICU to a private room at Caves Creek Memorial. Still in a coma, Dr. Robinson assured Marcus that there were signs of improvement in her brain activities. Wanting to be closer to his wife, Marcus rented a motel room closer to the hospital. He would occasionally visit Mike to check on his progress. He trusted Janessa to take care of their son until he would be able to take Michelle back to Whispering Lane.

The lake sparkled underneath the midday sun. Lounging on a chair, Michael watched as Janessa frolicked in the water with Paris. She had temporarily moved into the guest room. Feeling grateful for them being there, he smiled when she looked his way. His thoughts wavered to his mother, how much he missed her presence. He briefly thought about Desi. A tug of hurt wrenched at his heart, he suddenly missed her as well. Dismissing the thought from his head, he focused on Janessa who sauntered over to him.

You okay there handsome? she cooed. Tired of being in the sun? Mike looked at her from head to toe. The green two-piece bikini she wore clinged to her body. Water gracefully slid down her tanned thighs. Raising his head, his eyes settled on her plumped breast, her nipples fought against the fabric of the bra in hopes to escape. Mike sucked in a deep breath. Janessa nudged him playfully. I think its time to get you out of the sun, she blushed. Paris, were going back to the house, she called after her daughter.

Okay mom. Ill be up shortly.

Janessa gave support to Mike as they walked slowly through the short path to the house. His right arm rested firmly around her shoulders.

The buzz of an overhead fluorescent light jerked Desi from her sleep. She did not know if it was day or night, nor did she know what day it was. Rubbing her eyes, she wearily looked around what seemed like an underground room. There were no windows, nor could she see a door. A stairway led through the roof at a far corner of the small space. Getting off the cot she was on, Desi realized her left ankle was clasped in a chain. Her heart began to race. Calm down! Calm down! she counselled herself in fear. Taking deep breaths, she tried her best to regain her composure. This is only a bad dream. Youll wake up soon.

Desi heard a door open. Footsteps descended the stairs. Cowering against the wall, she held her breath. The single light went off leaving the room in darkness. The footsteps came closer, a hand grabbing her. Desi screamed in terror. A sharp sting at her neck caused her to collapse in the arms of the stranger.

I told you weve been giving her too much Liquid X, a male voice said.

What do you call too much? a female voice responded in a harsh tone.

Desi could hear voices taunting her over and over. The headache was back. She slipped in and out of unconsciousness. The pair continued their conversation.

How long do you expect us to keep her here?

As long as it takes. So far, so good. Dont tell me you want to back out now?

No. Thats not it. Its just that

Oh, come on! Dont be ridiculous. We are almost to the finish line.

T am not, okay! Just shut up and let me think.

Fine mister. You know where to find me when you are ready.

The woman stomped up the set of stairs, the creaks sending electrical shocks through Desis nervous system. For some strange reason, the strangers voice sounded familiar. Listening to her pounding heartbeat, inner darkness swallowed her and her thoughts as strong arms held her close.