Eight

Fresh air rushed through Janessas room as she opened the window, a fierceness in its force as if being released from captivity. She welcomed its caress and smiled to herself when she saw Michael walking towards the lake. His favorite spot since of late. She often wondered if he thought about Desi, a look of longing always registering in his eyes. He was hurt; Desi had hurt him, and she was left to mend the broken pieces. She wanted to feel sorry for the woman, but, what good would that do? She had Mike all to herself after all. That bitch was only distracting him from her all these years.

The big day had finally arrived. Later that afternoon, Michelle would be coming home from the hospital. There was much to be done for her return. Turning away from the window, she sauntered towards the bathroom. She hummed softly as she stepped into the shower. It was a beautiful morning and she was sure the day would be even more beautiful. Nothing nor no one would spoil that for her.

Forty minutes later, Janessa bounced down the stairs wearing a loose, yellow, summer dress. The warmth of the foyer caressed her bare shoulders. Though the beginning of Fall was in the prior month, it still felt like a frisky July morning. She was loving it.

The smell of French Toast pulled her towards the kitchen. She stopped in her tracks when she saw the dining room table laden with a five-star, all-inclusive continental breakfast. Wow, she gasped. Michael came from the kitchen smiling, a bunch of freshly cut daisies in hand. So thats you were up to? she blushed. He handed the flowers to her. Thank you, Mike.

"You're most welcome."

Janessa could not hide her surprise. Eyes wide, mouth agape, she was lost for words. M-M-Mike? You're speaking again. When? How? The questions kept flying.

Shhh! he said placing a finger over her lips. He coiled her into an embrace. Thank you, he whispered against her ears. Thank you for everything.

You're welcome. It was my pleasure. She broke his embrace turning towards the table. She picked up a strip of bacon and bit into its crispiness. She spoke between bites. How did you do all this? And so quickly?

Mike laughed softly. No dear, this was all catered.

She gave out a breath of relief. You had me there for a minute. I almost thought you were a magician.

Only one way to find out. He squeezed her hands, a sultry smile forming on his lips.

Nothing I would love more bad boy, but in five, four, three, two, one The doorbell suddenly rang.

Are we expecting visitors?

Janessa left him in the dining room. Ill get it. He stared at the back of her head as she went to answer the door. Its for you, she shouted. He went to see who was there. Rounding the corner, Mike paused, his mouth now falling open.

Marcus smiled at his son. His face showed signs of stress, but it would never stop him from putting his best front forward. Wearing black jeans with a pair of Timberland boots, plaid red shirt with a Black Motor Leather Jacket to accompany, he looked nothing less than his best. He was weary, yet strength showed through his eyes.

Dont just stand there and look. Come give your big man a hug. Mike obliged. Its great to see you in such great shape, son. Gently pushing him away, Marcus gave his son a once over. I have a surprise for you, he said turning to face the front yard. A man in full white came from the side of the house pushing a wheel chair. Michelle slightly slumped to one side.

Mom?! Michelle lifted her head too the sound of his voice.

Marcus gasped. Youre speaking? he said focusing his attention back to Mike.