Two

Desi entered Mike's hospital room, pausing when she saw Janessa sitting at the bedside holding his hand, whispering to him. Jealousy swept through her. What was Janessa even doing there? She wasn't family. She cleared her throat to announce her presence, startling the other woman.

"Oh, hello, Ms. Martin," she said in a nervous tone.

"Call me Desi."

"Alright, Desi, I didn't hear you come in."

Desi strolled over to the other side of Mike's bed. "Any changes?"

"No mam." Janessa was not pleased with Desi's impoliteness but continued. "The doctor said he is still in there and will come around soon. He suffered a massive blow to the head." Desi gasped and allowed her to continue. "He had internal bleeding which they managed to stop."

"Oh, Mike, I am so sorry," she said rubbing his shoulder. "I shouldn't have left." Tears escaped her lashes, mascara soiling her cheeks.

"It's okay." Janessa embraced her. "It was God's miracle I was in the city when I saw him in the parking lot."

Desi began to wipe her tears with the back of her hand. "You found him?" She looked at the other woman with bewilderment.

"Fortunately, I did. I was not able to see the face of his attacker. Seeing Mike fall to the ground like that was gut-wrenching." Tears began to fall from her eyes while she spoke.

"It must have been terrifying." Desi focused her attention on Mike, his head fully wrapped in gauze. "I need a moment with him."

"Sure. I'll be in the cafeteria." Janessa left the room.

Pulling up a chair, Desi sat and quietly spoke to Mike. Placing a soft kiss on his cheek, she caressed his forearm, finally looping her fingers through his. She could not bear to see him in that state. How much she loved him; if only he knew. Laying her head on his chest, she listened to his heartbeat. It was steady, and it was beautiful. "I know you are in there buddy, and I know you can hear me. Come back to us, please."

"I'm here Desi; I am here. If only I could see your beautiful face. I made dinner reservations for us, just us." Open your god damn eyes, Mike, let her know you are there. He tried to force his eyes open but to no avail.

"I shouldn't have left, " she continued. "I LOVE..." Before she could finish her statement, Marcus and Michelle rushed into Mike's hospital room. His mom clasped her hands over her mouth when she saw him. He laid motionless in the bed. Making her way to the opposite side, she took his hand and sobbed uncontrollably. Her husband tried his best to console her. "I'll give you both a moment."

"Oh Desi, thank you for being here," Michelle said drying her tears. She smiled weakly at the younger woman.

Before exiting the room, she paused. "Do you guys want anything to drink? Coffee? Tea?"

"Water is fine," Marcus answered.

Desi nodded. Turning, she almost bumped into Janessa who had two cups of coffee in hand. She swerved carefully not to bump into the other woman. "I got you a coffee," Janessa said raising one of the cups.

"No thanks. No coffee for me right now."

A sullen look came across her face. "Aah, that's cool." She offered a cup to the police officer who stood guard; he refused. "Oh well, more for me." Janessa motioned to re-enter Mike's room. Desi raised a hand to block her path. She made it aware that Mike's parents were with him, and they needed alone time with their son. "Oh, I didn't know that. But, I do think they would like to thank the woman who saved his life." She pushed her way pass Desi and entered the room. Desi remained standing at the door and watched as Michelle and Marcus raised their heads to look at Janessa.