JOURNEY TO LOVE - 33

NATHAN'S POV

My blood ran cold as I witnessed the sight of Amelia before me. Throughout lunch with an associate, my eyes kept drifting back to her. It took me a while to register that it was all true, that she was right in front of my eyes, savouring her favourite Spaghetti. She seemed healthy. Her growing belly and happy aura were indicating the sound health of the baby growing inside her.

As soon as the meeting got over, I hurried to the airport to catch my flight for New York, cancelling all other meetings. I couldn't wait to see Lucas
and break the good news to him.

Ever since that fateful day, he had broken. All this time we thought, they died in that fire. We all grieved for the loss but Lucas, blamed himself for their death. He was more closed off than before. He had engrossed himself in work, worrying all who cared for him.

After about an hour flight, airplane landed.

"Is everything okay ? Why did you cancel all your meetings ?" My assistant, Audrey asked me, as soon as she caught a glimpse of me.

With a smile on my lips, I replied, "Everything has never been so okay." Her eyebrows knitted in confusion. I motioned for her to get inside the car, as I settled down myself.

After directing the driver to drive me to Lucas's house, I informed Audrey about the situation and to say she was happy would be an understatement, she was on cloud nine. As was I.

Shortly afterwards, my driver dropped me at Lucas's mansion and left for the office with Audrey.

I inhaled a deep breath before making my way inside.

As soon as I entered the living room, I found Emily, engrossed in her book as she lay on the sofa on her belly.

"I am starting to believe you don't have a room." I remarked. With furrowed eyebrows, she sat upright. I smiled, causing a smile to appear on her lips as well before felling in my arms. I returned the embrace and placed a lingering kiss on her forehead.

"How are you doing ?" I asked. "And others ?" She pulled away and sighed.

"I am just fine. Mom is fine and you know how brother is." She whispered the last part, her eyes darted towards the study room. Before turning her attention back on me with a faint smile. "Seeing him has become a rarity. At least that is what it feels like."

"Anyways, weren't you supposed to be in Boston ?" She questioned.

"I was...." I began.

"But ?" She asked, perplexed.

"I will tell Lucas first." I said, walking towards the study room.

"What is it ?" She asked again. Turning back, I winked at her. She stomped her feet and returned to reading her book.

She is just too precious.

Exhaling a breath, I twisted the knob and slowly pushed open the door. And my eyes at once fell on Lucas, sprawled on the sofa, with documents and papers surrounding him. His hair was a mess. His face that once held grace, now was dull and lifeless. It was heart breaking to see the man, you look upto, be so broken.

"Get up, man." I whispred, nudging him gently. He inhaled a sharp breath, before flickering his eyes open. Bending down I gathered some fallen papers and stacked them on the table. He got up and walked to the bathroom. I settled down on the sofa, with my hands folded and dangling between my thighs, waiting for him. Minutes later, he came out wiping his face with the towel.

"Stop torturing yourself, man." I whispered. He sighed and looked in my direction.

"I am doing just fine." He replied, before walking towards his seat.