JOURNEY TO LOVE - 6

AMELIA KNIGHT

A week had passed since Axel Reed's inheritance party, and things had changed. Nina was no longer staying with us, and Alex lived alone, which made me check on him frequently. My day was filled with work, and I was currently with Jeremy, our construction analyst and head of the project. He presented me with the blueprints and details about the required materials.

"I like this, Jeremy. But, I have requested some safety and environment experts. Please conduct a meeting with them and inform me. Then, if Lucas approves, we will invite our investors." I instructed him.

"Sure." He replied with a smile, and I returned the gesture as I exited his cabin. On my way to my office, I received a call from Lucas, asking me to go to his office. Before going, I decided to get a cup of coffee for him.

Outside his office, I knocked twice, but there was no response. I hesitated for a moment before slowly pushing open the door, only to find him talking on the phone while his eyes were fixed on me. Feeling a bit flustered, I placed the coffee on his table and waited for him to finish his conversation.

My eyes involuntarily lingered on him, captivated by every detail from his tousled black hair to the depth of his intense gaze that seemed to penetrate my soul. His presence alone filled the room with an alluring aura that left me entranced. As he caught me admiring him, he playfully raised an eyebrow, causing a blush to creep up my cheeks, feeling slightly embarrassed by being caught in the act.

"You okay ?" He asked with concern.

"Yeah." I managed to reply. He didn't seem convinced but didn't push it either, something I am thankful for. He nodded, and I took a seat as he sipped his coffee. Politely, I asked, "You called, what can I do for you?" His eyes locked with mine, and he remained silent for a moment, looking hesitant.

"Is everything okay ?" I inquired, sensing something was different.

"Yeah. I was just asking if you checked the progress and did as I asked." He finally replied, but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. He wasn't his usual confident self.

"Uhm...I did." I replied, and he gave me a subtle nod before returning to his work.

"Is that all ?" I further questioned, to which he nodded again. Taking it as my cue to leave, I exited his cabin. However, I found it difficult to focus on my work as my mind kept drifting back to him. It felt like he had something on his mind, yet chose not to share it. With a sigh, I decided to call Alex.

"Hey sis. I'm fine." He reassured me before I could even ask.

"Okay. Did you take your medicines ?" I inquired.

"Yeah." He replied.

"Alright. Take care. I'll be back home soon."

"You too. " He replied, and I ended the call.

As the evening approached, I packed my things and prepared to leave. Once again, I went to his cabin, only to find him deeply engrossed in files. "I am leaving. You should be heading home too." I said, causing him to look up at me. There was something different in his gaze today, a look I couldn't quite decipher.

"I'll leave in a while. You can go." He replied. I nodded and turned to leave when he softly said, "Take care, Amelia." His voice was gentle and warm. I turned back, smiling, and replied, "You too."

Upon reaching home, I was welcomed by Alex sitting in the living room with his guitar. He looked up at me and smiled, "Welcome back home, sis." I smiled back, muttering a thank you before sitting down next to him.

"Composing a new song ?" I asked.

"Got nothing else to do." He replied with a faint smile. I pulled him into a hug and kissed his cheek. But as I touched his arm, I noticed he was burning up. Panicked, I checked his forehead and realized he had a fever.

"You have fever. Why didn't you tell me ?" I asked, worried.

"Relax sis, I asked my doctor, and she said it might be due to the weather and asked me to take medicine. So, I did." He reassured me, which calmed me down a bit.

"Okay," I trailed off. "Go and get some rest." Sensing my concern, he followed my advice and went to rest. After changing, I decided to prepare our dinner.

While I was in the middle of preparing dinner, the doorbell rang. I turned to check the time – it was 8:30 p.m. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion – who could it be? I walked towards the door and peeped out of the tiny hole, only to see Lucas standing tall and strong, his hands in his pockets.

I immediately unlocked the door, revealing myself, and his gaze instantly turned towards me.

"Lucas ? Please come in." I said, stepping aside to let him in. He walked in without a word, and I locked the door behind him. There was something different about him, and his intense gaze made my heart race with nerves.

After a brief moment of silence, he walked towards me, stopping just inches away. My breath hitched as he softly held my hand, and our eyes locked.

"What...what are you doing, Lucas ? Is everything okay ?" I asked, nervously, something his closeness was making me.

"Amelia, I need to talk to you about something important." He whispered. I nodded, feeling a mix of excitement and anxiety.

Sitting on the sofa together, he let go of my hand, and for a brief moment, I felt a hint of disappointment. However, I quickly shrugged off the feeling and settled down next to him.

"What happened ?" I asked softly, sitting beside him. He reclined on the sofa, closing his eyes, looking visibly stressed. I couldn't help but feel a strong desire to take away all his worries.

This man in front of me was like an angel in my life, and even though our relationship was purely professional. After Alex, he was the only person I would do anything for.

Without moving from his previous spot, he opened his eyes, fixing his gaze on mine.

"Amelia, I want to know your thoughts about me." He asked, catching me off guard.

I opened my mouth to speak, but all that came out was a croak, "What ?"

"What do you think of me, Amelia ?" He repeated, his eyes intently staring into mine.

"You are a good man, Lucas." I answered honestly. "You prefer quiet surroundings, and you are reserved, but if anyone needs your help, you're always ready to assist. You have been there for me when I had no one else to count on. I am forever indebted to you." I continued. He leaned forward, gently holding my hands, and that simple touch sent warmth coursing through my body.

"I don't want you to feel indebted, Amelia. You deserved it." He said sincerely.

I replied with a warm and understanding smile. "But why would you ask that ?"

He took a deep breath and spoke with a hint of vulnerability, "After my mother's accident, she told me about her one wish."

"And what is that wish ?" I asked curiously.

A brief pause hung in the air, and just as he was about to share, the atmosphere was disrupted by Alex's slow, pained voice that echoed through the room.

Turning our attention to the sound, it felt as if the ground beneath me slid away, leaving me unsettled...

__________________________________________

The new update is here.
Enjoy !!!!

Please do let me know your views in the comments below.
Also please vote, it motivates.

Stay healthy.
Stay safe !!