JOURNEY TO LOVE - 32

Welcome to my little haven." Danielle murmured as he invited us into his penthouse. The first thing we encountered was a beautifully designed living room, featuring a white sofa at its center and a large glass window offering a beautiful city view. An open kitchen with some chairs was nearby, and a staircase led to the bedrooms, one of which was across from the living room.

"Your place is beautiful." Alex remarked.

"Thanks, man. Come on, I'll show you to your room. You should get some rest." Danielle suggested, and Alex briefly checked on me to ensure I was okay before following Danielle to the room.

I settled on the sofa, and shortly afterward, Danielle joined me.

"You must be tired; you should get some rest too." He recommended, his concern evident in his voice. I glanced at him, feeling grateful for his presence in my life once again. For a moment, I held his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. "Thank you, Danielle. I wouldn't have known what to do if you weren't here with us." I expressed my genuine gratitude. We exchanged glances, and he whispered, "I'll always be right here." Then, he showed me to my room, located across from his.

The room was painted in soothing white tones and featured a queen-sized bed, a bookshelf, a work desk, and an en-suite bathroom.

After closing the door behind me, I entered the bathroom and prepared a hot bath for myself. As I stripped off my dress and sank into the bathtub, I tried to find solace, but it felt elusive. Closing my eyes, I couldn't help but think of Lucas's smiling face and the beautiful moments we had shared. My hand gently caressed my stomach, where our baby was growing, and a sudden surge of grief overwhelmed me. It felt like everything had come crashing down in just one day, as if all the time we had spent together had meant nothing.

Wiping away the tears that streamed down my cheeks, I wrapped a towel around myself and gazed at my reflection in the mirror, seeing the image of a broken woman.

I changed into comfortable attire, consisting for sweatpants and a sweatshirt, and then I settled into bed in an attempt to get some rest. After some tossing and turning, I eventually drifted off to sleep. When I woke up, it was already 6:00 pm. I freshened up and made my way to the kitchen, where Alex and Danielle were busy preparing a meal for us.

I never thought that life would bring me to a place where I had to start all over again.

"We were about to start without you." Danielle tried to uplift our spirits. I smiled before joining them and took a seat. Danielle served me a plate of omelette and a cup of coffee, and soon, they joined me at the table.

"Danielle, I'll need to find a job. I would have said I had connections in Boston, but they would only lead me back to my old life."" I disclosed.

"Don't worry about it right now; enjoy your meal." He reassured me gently.

"I can't burden you more than I already am." I confessed. He sighed, setting down his fork.

"Stop thinking that way; neither of you are a burden to me." He emphasized. "Regarding your job, my firm could always use your expertise if you don't mind." He suggested.

"I'd love that. Thank you." I gratefully accepted.

"Now, let's get back to eating. You need to be cautious about your diet now, and we'll make sure of it, right, Alex ?"

"Of course, and I can't believe I'm going to be an uncle. I feel old." Alex quipped. I chuckled, briefly forgetting my heartbreak and feeling thankful for their support.

FIVE MONTHS LATER

I dressed in peach-colored trousers paired with a white shirt and a peach blazer. I lovingly caressed my bulging stomach, and a smile appeared on my lips.