Chapter Nine: Vampiric King

As a Demon of Greed, Lleon had cravings. The thirst for blood. He was warned not to overindulge himself when he was younger. That never really stopped him and consequently, he developed Incorrigible Vampirism. A disorder that affected Greed Demons. It made his thirst for blood constant and uncontrollable. This would have been fine had things not played out the way they did. The next day after his feeding, he attended a meeting.

"I think we should have a strict limitation on Demon visitation," Avery said. "Harsh but necessary."

Lleon had a difficult time getting along with him, and the feeling was mutual. He found him to be a nuisance, but it might have been because of how he was trying to assert himself as her future husband.

He looked over at Anahera. She busied herself with her paper crafts for the children of her kingdom. Lleon did not mind it as long as she stayed quiet. On this day, however, she had cut herself while doing so. As soon as the stench of her blood reached him, he hissed. He covered his mouth and nose, breaking into a cold sweat as eyes focused on him. He should not be thirsty. After all, he had fed yesterday. Yet, the smell was like no other. His stomach turned with desire. He glowered at her, almost convinced she did it on purpose. He felt his fangs pressing hard against his palm.

"Excuse me," Lleon said even if it sounded muffled. He went out into one of the hallways, scrunching up his nose when he still smelled it. He barely held back his hissing when Anahera joined him a few minutes later.

"You are a vile creature, Victoir." She spoke. Though he was hardly able to comprehend her words. He made a motion to grab her arm, but she was quick to swerve his attempt. "Overindulging on the same thing that keeps you alive."

"Go away." He hissed. "Or I'll—"

"You will what? Drain me of every drop?" She stepped closer to him. "You would enjoy indulging in that disgusting habit of yours, right? Do it. Do it, you insufferable beast."

Lleon stared at her, almost in shock. What was she playing at? What was she attempting to do? He would not give in to whatever it was she was doing, and maybe that was exactly what she wanted. He couldn't decide. He couldn't figure her out. He wiped the saliva from his chin before managing to collect himself. She seemed pleased with this. Before he went back, he grabbed her arm and pulled her closer to himself.

"Careful, Anahera. Next time I cannot promise I will hold myself back." He spoke in her tongue, a darkness in his eyes.

"Keep your enemies closer, as they say." She responded. He let her go, staring at her like she was insane. Who did she think she was provoking him like that? Why...did it excite him?

          After that meeting, he went home and stared at himself in the mirror. He was blind in one eye but that never became a weakness. The upcoming excursion would prove it as one, however. Anahera was a strategist and would surely recognize his lack of vision on that side in the case that she found a window to fight back.

"Are you alright, Your Majesty?" Eliana asked upon entering his room.

"Yes. I was just thinking of the easiest ways to take her down." He responded. A minor lie. He could not think of anything else outside of her provoking him.

"I see." She nodded. She let out a squeak before she continued. "I know you will succeed."

"Of course I will."

Every passing day brought him closer to the excursion he most anticipated. He wanted her in different ways, but most importantly he wanted her dead. The bounty on her was his and his alone. All those nights—no—years of preparing would all come down to this. He would have to play smartly. He would have to be unpredictable.