Chapter Thirteen: Checkmate

"Where do you think you are going?" Avery asked just as Lleon grabbed the doorknob of Anahera's room door. "She is still asleep."

"She's usually awake around this time, is she not?" Lleon eyed him suspiciously.

"Typically. She was up all night finishing up the plans you were supposed to finish."

"I became hungry," he murmured. "An urge is an urge. Which is why I need her."

"What do you imply, Demon?"

"I wouldn't want to ruin that pure mind of yours." Lleon snarked.

Avery did not take kindly to this remark. The Angel pulled a blade on him, pressing it against his neck. Despite it, Lleon was unphased.

"Do not speak so vilely about Her!" He snapped.

"I didn't say anything."

"But you thought about it."

"I did, yes, but my imagination can only undress her so—"

Lleon cut himself off when Anahera's door opened. She rubbed her eyes a bit before taking in the situation. Avery slowly and nervously lowered himself flat onto his feet once more, putting the blade away. She did not say anything to either of them but looked severely tired of their bickering. At this point, Lleon had been fighting more with Avery than he had been with Anahera, and now she just seemed tired of it. She retreated into her room and shut the door again.

"Keep your vile thoughts to yourself, beast."

"Sure," Lleon said with a sarcastic smile. "Okay."

        Anahera joined the two after she was more ready for the day. She wore a featureless white dress that was tight around her bust and had a long bouffant-styled skirt. Lleon's eyes did not linger too long on her, mainly because Avery seemed like he was ready to lunge at him from across the table.

"Have we located the enemy camp?" Lleon asked when it became too silent for his liking.

"Oui. Your part of the work was very close. I will allow you to scout them out for confirmation."

"Should I kill them?"

"No. We cannot make any moves now."

"Anahera, we have not done anything to lessen the situation, and they are moving closer with each passing week. I am becoming impatient."

She opened her mouth to say something but was interrupted by Avery offering to go instead.

"No. Despite, Victoir's size, he is a master in the art of Dark Magic and can become one with the shadows. Besides, you have proven yourself just as much of a loose cannon as he is."

How gratifying it was for Lleon to see Avery get shut down.

      When they finished their late breakfast, Anahera went out to do her daily chores. She made the two men stay behind, taking her dog Choux with her instead. This was fine because, unlike Avery, Lleon had things to do that did not revolve around her. He worked on their plans, recounted the supplies for the soldiers, and began rounding up a scouting party. Eliana struggled to keep up but would eventually catch up.

"My king, shouldn't we wait for Queen Anahera to return before we leave?"

"She already gave me the go-ahead. We are leaving now."

"Very well," she nodded. "I will gather the scouting party—"

"Not so fast, King Victoir." Sébastien stood in front of them. "My queen has ordered me to keep an eye on you, and if you are to go on your scouting campaign, I am required to go with you."