Chapter Sixteen: Keep Your Enemies Closer

As night fell over them, the moon began illuminating the scene. She still said nothing as she removed her helmet and placed it on the ground. She then brushed her fingertips over the jagged bark of the tree. That same tree they always read under, the one they fell asleep under. He brushed his hand through his hair, deciding on what to say. Things still felt tense since they had arrived, and it felt as if anything he said might rekindle the feud they had worked to put out.

After the prolonged silence, Lleon spoke. "Why do you insist on helping your people every day?"

"Because it is my duty. I want to take care of the weaker."

"The weak should not thrive in this food chain." He murmured. "Besides, what will you do when Evermore invades and slaughters them all?"

"I will not let any more Angels be slaughtered at the hands of another Demon."

"No? Always on your fucking high horse." He scoffed. "You can't predict what will happen out there, Anahera. You need me."

"Is that so? Je n'ai pas besoin de toi."

This response irked him. He let out a low snarl before he promptly shoved her into the tree, her breath hitching as he did. He punched the space of the trunk above her, causing the tree to tremble from the force. Yet, she did not even flinch, her face remaining the same. This made him even angrier.

"Push me away then! Look me in the eyes and say you don't need me!" He demanded.

They stared at each other for a while, bitterness growing inside them both. Yet, she recognized the look he gave her. Excitement. Lust, perhaps. The same one he had when he had that night when he killed those wolves. His helmet appeared over his eyes as if he were preparing to fight her. The fighting aroused him. She figured this out a long time ago.

"I. Do. Not. Need. You." She spat. He only stared at her, unsure if the feeling was one of wanting to hurt her or something else entirely.

Lleon's attention slowly wandered down to her neck, leaning in and brushing his fangs down her skin and stopping when he reached the fabric of her clothes. She shivered. Those that met other bodies, yet not in the way he used them now. She knew he wanted to taste her and suppose she wanted him to.

"What are you doing...?" She asked in a hushed tone, though she had a feeling she knew.

"I want your blood." He snarled lowly.

Despite her clothing covering the area, he sunk his fangs into her forcibly. She closed her eyes and let out a gasp of pain, taking his horns but not pushing him back. Lleon let out a low groan as the immaculate taste of her blood reached his tongue. She didn't attempt to stop him even as his hand instinctively traveled down the side of her body. She didn't quite know why. She instead pushed her head back against the tree, a sigh escaping her as if a tension finally broke. As if she had been waiting for this moment for a very long time. He eventually pulled his head back and stared at her once more.

"Victoir..." She breathed out into the cold night air, her hands going down to his face.

Her fingers danced around the cold metal edges of his helmet. Despite Lleon not liking being touched, he allowed her to. He leaned into it, welcoming it. Their breath was visible as they panted. She wiped the blood away with her thumb before she brought him into a long-awaited kiss. She bit his lip, almost as if getting even with him, yet he didn't pull away. He clawed at the tree, pressing himself up against her further. The bulge in his leather pants made his desire obvious. She deepened the kiss as he began to grind himself against the hard surface of her armor. He forced his tongue into her mouth. The reminiscence of her blood on it left a coppery taste. She would eventually break the kiss, saliva still connecting them.