We can't be friends pt.12

"Pass the salad over here please," Jasmine asked politely smiling at my mom. I sucked my teeth under my breath. Man I just wanted to hop over this table and lodge this fork in her throat. She pissed me off acting all like a goody-two-shoes when she know she just as ghetto as she wanna be.

Really smacking her lips on the phone to me but now she wanna ass kiss. Please! I watched her as she grabbed the bowl from my mom and thanked her. She took the tongs and grabbed a small amount of salad out. "You know you want more than that." I mumbled. Harlem lightly tapped my leg under the table from where he was sitting. I knew he was telling me to watch my mouth. Jasmine's eyes flickered to me and I saw her jaw clench little.

"Excuse me?" She asked.

"Oh I just said have some more. There's plenty here." I said through slightly clenched teeth.

"Oh yes, sweetie, don't be shy." My mom said smiling at her. Ugh! Mom don't smile at that bitch. "So what did you say your name was?" My mom started a conversation while she picked up her fork to eat.

"Jasmine." She took a baby bite of lasagna and I snorted a little. Man just eat. All acting like you at a restaurant or something. I coughed to play it off though as every eye at the table turned to me. I waved my hand dismissively to let them know I was okay. Omari's eye's lingered a little longer on me though and I know he wasn't fooled. He knew me too well. I smiled deviously at him and finished eating. Surprisingly Omari didn't say too much at the table. Just ate and observed.

Meanwhile My mom, Harlem, and Jasmine were in deep conversation. I didn't pay them any mind thought. I really didn't care what they were talking about. This was my chance to talk to Omari. "So? What's up with you?" I asked to start off the conversation.

"Nothing much." He said vaguely. I sighed. This was gonna go nowhere if he was barely gonna talk to me.

"No really? You act like you don't want to talk to me."

"It's not that I don't wanna talk to you. It's Just I've been busy."

"With Jasmine?" I asked hotly. I could have sworn I saw his lips quirk slightly but that had to have been my imagination. He rolled his lips in and looked up at me from his plate. I stared back at him. I missed him so much. We've never gone more than a few hours not talking to each other. It's been two days. That's all. Two days and already we act like we barely know each other. It's that bitch's fault. Everything was cool before she showed up.

He was about to answer when I heard a part of the conversation at the other end of the table. "So where do you know Bri from?" My mom asked Jasmine. Oh shit! I had told Harlem we met when she knocked all my stuff out of my hand at the store.

"Oh. We just met by accident one day. You know? I kind of know her from Omari." Jasmine said completely winging it. I sighed in relief and then looked at Harlem out the corner of my eye. He was looking at me curiously. What she said wasn't a lie though. We did 'meet' each other by accident. Over the phone. And I do know her from Omari. Because she answered his phone.

"Oh. So I hope this doesn't sound rude, but how did you end up here then if you don't really know my daughter?" I smiled a little. Omari then decided it was time to speak up for the first time that night.

"This is my girlfriend." He said and smiled at my mom.

"Oh!" She exclaimed. Extra. "Everybody's getting boyfriends and girlfriends lately. Bri just brought home her boyfriend. Can you believe it? I knew nothing about this."

"Neither did I..." Omari mumbled under his breath but I heard him. I cut my eyes at him when he looked to me again to let him know I heard his slick comment. He gave me an innocent look.