Chapter 5.6: Class On An Outing

(DECEMBER 2010)

---

ZOEY RIVERA

Rich and I were paired together with no hesitation.

Am I really that easy to see through? No. Mr Darley's our teacher. He just knows.

Rich didn't say anything when I went up to him. He simply stared blankly into the foliage. He looked too out of it to feel the chill and I envied him for that. This cold was still a shock for me and my hands felt like they were a step away from frostbite.

"Why am I paired off with this idiot?" Mallory asked, pointing at Sam.

"Come on, that's uncalled for—"

"Shut it!"

Vivi's walkie went off. It was Mr Darley's voice. "You can start sending them off now. Over."

Bond and Illiana headed first. Mallory and Sam were fourth. Charlie and Carrie fifth. And Conan and Emilia seventh.

We waited a while until, as the ninth pair, Rich and I were sent to go.

He went off without warning and left me to catch up. "Don't leave me. We don't have flashlights this time."

We came upon where the path split off. A man holding a ukulele approached us.

"This is a forest of tragedy, drenched in blood," Mr Darley said, playing a few ominous notes. "Take any of the six paths, but stick together for the wendigo that dwells here fears groups."

"This is more realistic than I was expecting," Rich said, taking the right-most path.

I agreed. "Let's get out of here."

After we made some distance, Mr Darley began talking again. "This is a forest of tragedy, drenched in blood..."

Rich shot a thumb back. "Hearing him say the exact same story to the next couple makes it so much more realistic."

I let out a chuckle.

"Are you cold?" he asked. "You're shaking."

"Just my hands. My gloves are in the washer."

Rich took off his gloves and handed them to me. "Here, use mine."

"But your hands are gonna be cold."

"It works in my favour. The cold is the only thing keeping me conscious. Besides, my hands are rather warm tonight."

I held my hand up. "Mine are cold to the touch."

Rich pressed his palm against mine.

I pulled my hand back. "What are you doing?"

"I wanted to feel if your hands were actually cold."

"At least ask me first!"

"Can I feel your hand?"

He's actually gonna ask?

"Fine." I pressed my palm against his.

As embarrassing as this was for me, I couldn't deny that the warmth of his hand was comforting.

Rich chuckled. "I can feel your heartbeat through your palm."

I put my hand down. "Are you stupid? You're making this awkward now."
"I'm too spent today. Sorry. I'm doing the first thing that comes to my head. Everything I'm saying is unfiltered."