Chapter 2.4: The New Girl

(OCTOBER 2010)

---

RICH MUTATIO

Mr Cranston wouldn't say what we were going to do so we had no choice but to keep quiet and follow him to the field.

   "I thought we were playing basketball this week?" Seymour asked.

   Mr Cranston stopped by the nearest goalpost. "During the retreat, you and the seventh graders will be competing in three different games. As you guys know, once you get to seventh and eighth grade, you won't have a gym teacher. So, technically, I'm your teacher just as much as Mr Darley. And just like Mr Darley, I want you guys to win."

   "But what are we doing outside?"

   "The games you're playing against the seventh graders are pole toppling, hardpoint, and capture the flag; in that order. So for the next three weeks, I will be helping you get better at playing capture the flag, hardpoint, and—starting this week—pole toppling."

   At each end of the field were two ten-foot-tall logs.

   "Today's objective is simple: learn how to play, learn the rules, and learn what you can and can't do."

   We made our way to the closest pole which Mr Cranston held up. "The rules are simple. You and your opponent's team each have an upright pole. Your objective is to knock theirs down before they knock down yours. Questions?"

   "Will you be teaching us strategies?" Grant asked.

   "Just the basics on how to play. The actual strategies are up to you. This is your class against the seventh graders. If you win because of a strategy I came up with, then it would be my victory and not yours."

   "And if we lose?"

   "It doesn't matter if you win or lose. What matters is if you gave it your all. Because if you fought the good fight then your loss is more of a victory than the other team's win."

   Illiana raised her hand. "What are the teams?"

   Mr Cranston let the pole drop. "We'll be in our dodgeball teams. Since this is everyone's first time playing, we'll take turns defending and attacking a single pole. If everyone gets a hang of it by the end of class, maybe we can play a quick game. Bond's team over there, Rich's over here."

   "Which team do I go to, Sir?" Zoey asked.

   "Sorry, Zoey, I forgot about you. Let's see. Your addition is actually pretty good since you even up the class. Annie, go to Bond's team. Zoey, go to Rich's."

   What is up with everyone pairing her with me?

   We alternated between attacking and defending a single pole. Mr Cranston told us that a common strategy was for a person on your team to be a 'rider on top' while the others supported the pole.

   Our team had Illiana. She was the shortest girl and the class gymnast. It only made sense that we appointed her as rider on top. The shortest person on the other team was Charlie. He kept falling off and started bruising up.

   "We can replace you with someone else," Bond suggested.

   Charlie climbed back on top of the pole. "I'm good. I ain't losing a balancing match to a girl."

   Brianna pointed at him. "Sexist!"

   "How is that sexist? It isn't sexist if it was the other way around."