Part 8

Back to the present

Since then, your main goal in life was to sink your claws into Doflamingo. Get close and use him for your survival.

You applauded yourself for managing that for ten years. He trusted you with everything. You weren't sure if it was security or fear that held it all together but at least you were alive.

You loved him because you had too. That was how it worked in your grand scheme of things. But now your plans had to shape and shift to fit around not only to protect yourself but the child inside you.

"Something's on your mind," an oh too familiar deep voice sounded from behind you.

"Something is always on my mind."

"Did you run into some trouble in the towns?" There was venom laced in his tone when he had asked as thoughts of murder came to mind. Who dared dishonour you?

"None." You shifted your gaze to the large window that looked out at the kingdom as a dark starry night blanketed the sky.

Strong arms wrapped around you from behind and pulled you close. His chin rested a top of your head as he wondered what was going on in that head of yours.

"I told you not to worry about me," he reminded you of your conversation in the morning.

"It's normal for a wife to worry about her husband." And her security, you thought to yourself.

"What is it?" Doflamingo pressed. You knew he wouldn't leave without his question being answered.

He knew you too well. He knew when something bothered you.

His love, if you could confidently even call it that, was a strange one. Yes, he has been loyal only to you for more than ten years but his love for you was obsessive. You had to admit that being adored and seen as an equal by someone like Doflamingo fed your pride but it also, deep inside, frightened you.

The lengths he'd go for the people who he truly cared about was admirable as well as horrific.

But over the years, a sick twisted part of you, cared and loved him. It was a poison you had been drinking for the sake of survival. A sweet poison.

You understood him better than anyone else could. He shared his past with you and his plans for the future, he confided to you the nightmares that haunt him ever so often in his sleep.

"Things will change if your plan doesn't go as accordingly as you think it will," You finally spoke, your voice soft. You turned around to look up at him.

"When you took over the kingdom, the people believed a lie you told them about their former King. Do you remember how quickly they turned against him?"

"They were poor and I promised them prosperity which I gave to them. As far as I know, they adore me and especially...you," He whispered into your ear, a deep chuckle reverberating in his chest. "You shouldn't concern yourself with the opinions of sheep."

You wouldn't meet his eyes.

Placing his hand beneath your chin, he angled your face to look up at him.

You didn't want to do it but you had to, for the sake of your security and protection. Messed up as it was, it will extend your life a little longer. You made a promise to live.

Then it slipped from your lips.

"I'm with child."

His expression was blank. The absence of his smile caused a bubbling anxiety within you and the sunglasses that shielded his eyes, made it even harder for you to read him.