Chapter 47

The next day, Bunny was finally able to be moved from the intensive care unit to a regular room. Seiya continued to stay by her side, his presence giving her strength. In the early afternoon, there was a knock on the door. Amy, Rei, Minako, and Makoto entered, closely followed by Yaten and Taiki. Bunny was incredibly happy to see her friends. But in order to speak openly with them, they needed to be alone, even though it made her uncomfortable to send Seiya away.

"Seiya, would you please leave us alone?" she asked, seeking his gaze. Seiya smiled at her understandingly. "Of course, should I come back later?" he wanted to know. "That would make me happy," she beamed at him. He planted a kiss on her forehead and left the room with his brothers.

Seiya let out a deep breath as he exited the room and leaned against a wall. "How is she?" Taiki asked as soon as the door closed.

 Seiya ran a hand through his hair. "She's doing okay. She can't remember a lot of things again. She doesn't remember who I am once more. Can you imagine that? We're almost starting from scratch again."

 Yaten placed a hand on his shoulder. "It will be fine. You've already convinced her of your feelings multiple times. You can do it again. What about our wannabe gangster?" 

A disgusted snort escaped Seiya's throat. "He wrote her a letter and disappeared, claiming he left the country. I hope for his sake that he really did. If he comes near her again, I'll tear him apart." Taiki had a thoughtful expression. "Why again? Was he here?" 

Seiya rolled his eyes and forced himself to breathe calmly. "Yes, Bunny had called him. In her last memory, they were still happy together." 

"What is her last memory?" Yaten asked. 

"The evening when you had a date with Mina at the restaurant." 

"Ouch... But hey, look at the bright side, you're experienced at winning her heart, and at least the girls are with her now. They'll tell her what happened," Yaten joked, trying to lighten the mood. 

Seiya had to chuckle briefly; his brother wasn't entirely wrong with that remark. He did indeed have experience in winning her heart. 

"What are the doctors saying? How much longer does she have to stay in the hospital?" Taiki inquired. 

Seiya thought for a moment. "Well, if everything goes well, they can put the piece of skull back in next week. Starting tomorrow, she'll begin physiotherapy; it's going to be a tough journey. She has to relearn walking completely..." 

"And do you plan on staying at the hospital with her?" Yaten sounded very skeptical. 

"Yaten, he's just worried about you, even if he won't admit it. You look really worn out. Could you at least come home for one night?" Taiki tried to mediate. 

Seiya thought back to the previous night. Bunny had been jolting awake from nightmares repeatedly. He had held her tightly in his arms and soothed her back to sleep. Even though she didn't remember him, she responded to his touch and relaxed somewhat. He saw it as a positive sign. Seiya sighed and rubbed his face. "Maybe you're right, Taiki, but I can't leave her alone at night. She needs me the most then." 

"Then at least lie down now. She's occupied as long as the girls are there." Finally, Seiya gave in. He had no more strength to argue with his brothers, so he headed home.

By now, Bunny had received a summary of the events from her friends. She was still trying to grasp everything. It all still seemed so unreal to her. But if she listened deep within herself, she felt a profound connection to Seiya that she couldn't explain otherwise. Gradually, her friends started to say their goodbyes, all except Minako. This was the moment Bunny had been waiting for. She knew that if she were to tell anyone everything, it would be Minako.

"Mina?" she whispered.

"Yes? What is it? Why are you whispering? We're alone."

"Did I really cheat on Mamoru with Seiya? I mean, really?"

Minako blushed slightly. "Yes, well... um..."

"Mina, I need to know the whole truth now! In my memories, I was still a virgin, and then Mamoru told me that I slept with Seiya."

"Yes... well... I know that on the evening of the ball, you had something with Mamoru... You told me that, and before you ask, yes, he was your first. As for something happening with Seiya, I only suspected that. Things escalated before we could talk about it."

Bunny swallowed. So she had slept with two men without having any memory of what it was like. Her emotions were like a roller coaster.

"Mina, do you have any advice on how to proceed with Seiya?"

Minako sat on the edge of Bunny's bed and took her friend's hand in hers.

"Bunny, do what your heart tells you. Amy told you that you and Seiya were in love a while back. Then he and his brothers disappeared, you lost each other. But you kept finding your way back to each other. That must mean something, right?"

Bunny looked at Minako, her eyes glistening with tears. "Yes, you're right. It's just so confusing right now. I want to remember everything again. Him and us."

Minako smiled encouragingly at Bunny. "You'll manage it. You have all of us by your side. And Seiya will surely do everything to win you back, that's without a doubt, he's crazy about you."

Bunny nodded and squeezed Minako's hand tighter. "Thank you, Mina. Thank you for your honest words. I will fight and reclaim my happiness."

Seiya lay stretched out on the sofa in his apartment, trying to find some sleep. His body was exhausted, but his mind was full of worries and thoughts about Bunny. Sleep was out of the question. He glanced at the clock – he had been lying here for hours with no result. Eventually, he swung his legs back onto the floor, took a refreshing shower, and headed back to the hospital. He didn't want to leave her alone any longer.

Minako was still sitting by Bunny's bed. The two laughed as Seiya entered the room. "Oh, Seiya. I'll leave you two alone then," Minako chirped and winked at Bunny. A slight blush spread across Bunny's cheeks as Seiya approached her. As she walked past, Minako gave Seiya an encouraging pat on the shoulder and left.

"You look good, the girls' visit seems to have done you well."

Seiya sat back in the chair next to her bed, and Bunny reached for his hand.

"Yes, it was nice, but it's even nicer that you're back now." She leaned forward, gave his fingers a light kiss, and beamed at him.

The conversation with Minako had given her courage to open up to Seiya and let go of the memories with Mamoru. She now knew that she had to look forward. She cautiously shifted to the side. "Would you like to come back here?"

Seiya didn't need to be told twice, and he was soon lying next to her, holding her in a tight embrace.

During the night that followed, Seiya found little sleep. Bunny tossed and turned in her bed, plagued by nightmares. Every time she jolted awake from a nightmare, her breathing was shallow, and her forehead was covered in beads of sweat. Every time she woke up from a nightmare, Seiya was immediately awake, pulling her close to him. He gently stroked her forehead or arm, soothed her with soft words or hummed to her, trying to lull her back to sleep. Twice, she screamed – screams that pierced through him. All he could do was be there for her, even though he felt helpless. She needed him, and that gave him hope and strength.

The sun slowly began to rise, and Seiya was still there, awake, with Bunny in his arms. She had calmed down somewhat and now lay peacefully sleeping, leaning against his chest. He looked at her lovingly, his gaze full of tenderness and concern. He knew that the road to recovery was still long, but he was ready to walk it together with her.

Slowly, exhaustion descended upon Seiya, and his eyelids grew heavy.