Chapter 21

Bunny couldn't figure Seiya out. He drove her crazy with his self-centeredness. He constantly teased her and tried to provoke her, yet he was also so sensitive and carefree. He was so different from Mamoru, who was more reserved with clear goals in life. Lost in thought, Bunny walked through the streets, weighing the pros and cons of both men. However, she couldn't come to a conclusion.

Now, she was about to have a conversation with Mamoru. She hadn't informed him of her visit and hoped he was already back from work. She rang the doorbell, but there was silence on the other side of the door.

"Maybe he's working overtime again," thought Bunny. She briefly considered going back home, but she wasn't sure if she would muster the courage to come back again. No, she had to face this now, she had to know what happened with him yesterday. So, she sat in front of his door and waited. Although she had a spare key to the apartment, she felt uncomfortable using it now. She leaned her head back against the door and closed her eyes. She didn't know how long she had been sitting like that when she was suddenly startled by a clearing of the throat.

Mamoru had worked two hours longer today; he was also thinking a lot about the previous evening. Takeru had treated his hand this morning, thankfully without asking further questions. Seiya's words to him were echoing in his ears all day long. When he arrived at his apartment and saw her sitting there, leaning against his door with her eyes closed, he briefly considered turning around again. She looked like she was asleep. How long had she been waiting for him? He mustered the courage and approached her. When he stood directly in front of her, he cleared his throat, and she suddenly opened her eyes. So, she wasn't asleep after all.

"Have you been waiting long?" he asked and extended his hand to help her up.

"Not too long. Did you have to work longer again?"

"Yes, sometimes you don't have a choice. Come in."

Both tried to maintain a certain level of politeness, but for Bunny, it felt like there was an elephant between them. She sensed his tension and the distance he kept. After he closed the door, she followed him into the small kitchen. "Would you like something to drink?" he asked, trying to prolong the conversation a bit.

"Just water, please," she replied, taking her seat at the table. Mamoru quietly placed a glass of water in front of her, not revealing his emotions. But then Bunny tried to hold his hand, and he quickly withdrew his fingers from her grasp, hurt pride evident in his gaze.

"Mamoru, what happened yesterday?" she asked, concerned.

A cynical laugh escaped his throat. "I should be asking you that. How long has this been going on between you two?"

Bunny's eyes widened in shock. How much did he really know?

"Mamoru, it was nothing. He just hugged me briefly."

"Don't treat me like a fool, Bunny. He said it himself that he loves you. Do you love him too?" Mamoru turned to the sink, his hands clenched painfully into fists as he tried to hold back the tears. He didn't want to hear her answer, but he needed to.

Bunny stood up. He could hear that she took a sharp breath before answering, "Mamoru, I don't know. I just don't know."

Then he felt her hand stroke his back.

"But I know that I love you. Very much, otherwise, I wouldn't have slept with you yesterday." She tilted her head to look into his eyes, and tears were welling up in hers too.

"So, you can't tell me if you love him?" He shook his head. He knew he deserved the truth. "I don't know. It might have something to do with that potion Amy mentioned. I just can't remember him, but I feel my body reacting to him. There's something connecting him and me." She paused for a moment, gazing deeply into his eyes. "But I know for sure that I love you too. You are one of the most important people in my life. Mamoru, I can't and don't want to lose you..."

Before she could finish her sentence, he silenced her with a kiss. It was filled with longing and passion, telling her "you belong to me." She put her hand on the back of his neck and reciprocated. Her mind went blank as he lifted her and placed her on the countertop. His hand moved up her bare thigh, and Bunny felt a wave of excitement building up inside her. Suddenly, Mamoru stopped his movements, breaking the kiss, and looked at her sadly.

"I can't do this. I can't sleep with you when I know there's someone else."

Bunny slid off the countertop. "Do you believe me that I love you?" she whispered.

"But him too. That's the problem, Bunny."

Tears welled up in her eyes. "I don't know what it is, and that's why I came here, actually," Bunny took a deep breath, trying to compose herself. "I need some time for myself. I have to figure things out on my own."

Mamoru took another step towards her, even though he was angry and jealous, the fear of losing her overpowered everything. He took her hand and searched her gaze. "I love you with all my heart. I will give you the time you need."

Bunny wrapped her arms around him and began to cry. Mamoru comfortingly stroked her back. "We'll figure this out. We have to! I just need to get rid of this guy," Mamoru thought as he held her tightly in his embrace.

Bunny cherished his strengthening hug, even though she almost regretted leaving it, but she knew it was time to go.

After Bunny had left his apartment, Mamoru rummaged through the drawers of his desk. He knew it was somewhere here. Shortly after, he pulled out a small black notebook and opened it, dialing the number from the first page. A woman's voice answered after a few rings.

"Celeste? It's Mamoru. We urgently need to meet. Tomorrow evening at my place?"

"I was wondering when you'd get in touch again. Okay, fine. See you tomorrow."