Chapter 32

With heavy steps, Bunny climbed the numerous stairs of the temple. Mamoru had promised to pick her up here in a few hours. Rei was outside, sweeping the courtyard, when she spotted Bunny. She quickly hurried over to her friend. "Bunny, what happened?"

Bunny tried to collect herself. "Seiya is gone," she said curtly, struggling to hold back her tears. Rei looked at her with an open mouth, took a moment, but then regained her composure. "Come inside and tell me everything."

She brewed a cup of tea for Bunny, and then they sat down on the steps of the main building. "I love him, Rei. I was with him last night, it was like a dream, so perfect. Then he took me home, and this morning, he was gone, like vanished into thin air," Bunny suddenly burst out.

Rei placed her hand on Bunny's arm. "Does Mamoru know about him?"

Bunny stared ahead as if hypnotized. "Yes, partially. At the ball, Mamoru broke his nose because he was holding me. We talked afterwards. I tried to explain everything to him, but it's so complicated."

"Do you still love him?" Rei asked.

"Yes, yes, I love both. But it's so different with Seiya, everything is so easy with him, he somehow completes me. Mamoru is here," then she touched her temple. "But Seiya is here," she lowered her hand to her heart, her eyes reflecting infinite sadness.

"Bunny, you need to sort things out, even if it's difficult. It's not fair to Mamoru," Rei said, her voice softening. Bunny sadly nodded in agreement. "I know," and now, she couldn't hold back any longer; warm tears flowed once again. Rei soothingly stroked her back. "You need to stop crying all the time, it won't get you anywhere. Distract yourself a bit until the police have a lead, try to clear your mind."

Bunny sniffled and sought her gaze. "And how am I supposed to do that?"

Rei grinned and held a broom under her nose. "Come on, give it a try." Bunny looked puzzled at the broom, and seconds later, they both burst into laughter.

Mamoru watched Bunny as she ascended the steps. He knew she would need some time. His phone ringing snapped him out of his thoughts. "Chiba."

"Yeah, I know whose number I dialed. I need a doctor. Now," Celeste's voice echoed from the other end.

Mamoru let out a heavy breath. "I patched up quite a handful of your people just yesterday."

"Mamo, do I hear resistance?"

"No, of course not, but remember, I'm not your slave. Where do I need to go, and what should I expect?"

"We're at the club on the second floor, you should still find my office, it's nothing major, just a gunshot wound on the upper arm, but the bullet is still in there."

Mamoru rolled his eyes. "Fine, I'm coming. See you shortly."

It didn't take long, and Mamoru entered Celeste's office with his medical bag. It looked just the same as the last time he was here. The white marble floor echoed under his steps, one wall was blood red, the others white. In the center stood a massive black desk, with a small sitting area set up to its left. There sat a man with short brown hair, holding a blood-soaked cloth to his arm.

"Nice of you to make it," he was greeted by Celeste.

Mamoru clenched his lips irritably. Why had he contacted her and then even asked for help? He had managed to escape this Black Moon circle, and now he was back here, his past catching up with him.

"What happened?" he asked grumpily as he opened his medical bag.

"Ah, there's a new group here, led by Shin. He just won't accept that Japan, especially Tokyo, is my territory. But he'll realize it soon enough," Celeste's eyes sparkled vengefully.

Shin. Mamoru froze mid-motion, a shiver running down his spine. This couldn't be true. "We were supposed to deliver a shipment from the harbor to the airport, they set a trap for us and opened fire. I was the only one who managed to escape with a part of the cargo," the brown-haired man added through clenched teeth.

Mamoru disinfected the wound and examined the entry point, trying not to show any reaction. "Drugs or contraband?" he asked curtly.

"Both, sculptures filled with cocaine. Can you fix him up quickly?" Celeste replied just as briefly. She tried to read his face, but he managed to keep his poker face intact.

"Yeah, luckily the bullet didn't hit anything vital." Mamoru carefully removed the bullet and treated the wound. "How did you catch Seiya so quickly?" he tried to change the topic, but his archenemy's name kept echoing in his mind.

Celeste chuckled lightly. "Mamo, he's just a kid. Did you really think it would take us more than a few hours? He was out alone after dropping off your bunny."

A stab in his heart, he had brought Bunny home last night. His Bunny had been with him, but at least she would have been safe with him. "What are you doing with him?" he coolly growled.

"I'm waiting for him to write his farewell letters, and then he's coming to the main headquarters in Osaka for now. What happens to him ultimately hasn't been decided yet. Why? Feeling remorse? Want him back?"

"No. But don't send him to Osaka just yet... maybe I need to reconsider something..." Shin was back, that bastard had survived. Mamoru and Shin had a long-standing feud, and he had been pretty sure he had finally eliminated him in Nagoya a few years ago. That was just before he started his new life, but now his past was catching up with him at breakneck speed.

If Shin found out he had a girlfriend, he would capture Bunny to torment him emotionally. "When were you planning to tell me that this bastard is back? Or were you even going to tell me that he's still alive at all?" Mamoru snapped, he couldn't hold back any longer. If he had known this before, his plans would have been entirely different.

"Just calm down, Mamo. He thinks you're dead."

"I also thought he was dead until a few minutes ago! He's most likely monitoring the building, so he knows now that I'm not dead! Do you know what that means?" Mamoru yelled at the top of his lungs. A malicious grin spread across Celeste's lips.

"You know I'm the best, and I always get what I want. Even if I waited almost five years for this, checkmate, Mamo. I'm offering you one last chance to stand by my side in the Black Moon, and I guarantee the safety of your bunny. If you decline, you two will be on your own." She turned around him and sat on the cleared desk in front of him.

Mamoru's muscles were still frozen. This couldn't be true! He had trusted Celeste, and now she wanted to force him back into her service. Mamoru was at a loss for words.

Celeste ran her fingertip along his jawline. "I'll give you half an hour to think. I have something else to take care of. You can wait here if you like and give me your decision afterward."