Saving Aden (1): Never Be The Same

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

New story! Wooo! Still involves vamps...cuz you know, I love 'em. So, I'm trying a new thing for this book. I really wanna add a song for each one, ya know? I'll post the name of the song and maybe a link at the end of every chapter, or at least try to do it for every post. Can't make any promises though.  

Here's chapter oneee. :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prologue

"I love you."

"Aden." I felt my breath hitch.  

"Hmm?" He hummed, burying his warm face in my hair.  

"I...I love you too." 

No, no this is all wrong. Take it back while you still can, I told myself. But I just couldn't bring myself to do so.  

"Do you really Arianna...?" he asked, pulling away to look at me.  

I swallowed harshly, ignoring his speeding heartbeat, and the hot blood that rushed through his veins. "Y-yes," I choked out.  

Aden laughed nervously, and cupped my cold cheeks, forcing me to look up at him. "Are you sure?" 

Am I? I slowly looked over him. He was more of a man now than the boy I had met, and I feared that I had caused that. His jaw was strong and tense, his eyes a sharp blue-green and more defensive then they'd ever been, his hair was a disarray of reds and browns--messy from his hands always frantically running through it. I felt so small and fragile in his arms, like I was the one who needed protection instead of him.  

That's when I knew the answer to his question. I did love him, and I always would. "Of course I'm sure," I told him confidently, completely forgetting my moment of uncertainty.

My name is Arianna Grace Devlin, and I'm a vampire who's in love with the human she was assigned to protect.

Chapter One: Never Be the Same

Humans weren't as stupid as most vamps made them out to be. They knew when they were in danger, and some were even kept up to date with the latest news. Immortal news, I mean. Someone in the Locke family just so happened to know about us vampires, so it didn't surprise me when I was assigned to protect their eldest child--Aden J. Locke.

Gage sipped at a blood bag he'd gotten earlier that morning, his feet kicked up onto the edge of the coffee table. The blood from the hospital was the only thing he ever drank since he "changed" me nearly a decade ago. He never complained out loud, but every once in awhile I'd see him grimace or cringe. Sometimes I felt guilty, but every time I voiced my thoughts Gage would shush me, telling me it was what he wanted.

He was quite the character. Gage was my maker, so to speak. My boss. My own protector. An ex lover. A friend. Maybe even my only friend.  

With pitch black hair that reached just below his ears, a pierced lip, and gauged ears, he didn't seem to scare away any humans. He had at one point, but now he seemed to blend right in with the crowd. Either way, he was no longer scrutinized for having such pale skin, or even for the red that glowed in his irises after feeding, and when blood lust set in. Many "goth" teens had pale complexions as of late, and some even wore red contacts. He was safe, and for that I was glad.  

Gage suddenly shifted his dark gaze to me, his chocolate eyes raking over my frame. "What's up?" he asked, his voice laced with concern.  

"I was given my first assignment," I murmured as my fingers traced the edge of the manila envelope I'd carried in.