Chapter 5

I let out a sigh as I worked on my report.

We had stopped at Starbase 11 to report the death of Benjamin Finney, one of my brothers oldest friends. They had met at the academy and then became good friends, but sadly after an incident with a circuit panel they grew apart.

I had thought a lot of Finney, seeing him as a good friend and as a mentor. Finney had helped me apply for the academy and had even helped me get in early. It was because of him that I am where I am now and his death had hit me hard.

I leaned back in my chair and stared at the picture on my desk. I was standing beside Finney and his daughter, Jame.

Jame and I had practically grown up together. I was a few years older than her, but we still had became close seeing as her father and my brother spent almost every day together.

I heard my door open and turned to see Joanna rush in, a look of fear on her face.

"Thea, you won't believe what just happened." Joanna said as she rushed up to me.

"What's wrong?" I asked as I turned to look at her. "Has something happened?"

"Jim has been court martialed. They are saying that he murdered Benjamin Finney." Joanna said softly.

My heart stopped and I quickly jumped to my feet.

"You're joking right? Those two use to be best friends. Jim would never do something like that!" I gasped out.

"Supposably the computer says he ejected the pod before he went to red alert." She explained as I grabbed my dress and slipped it on over my tank top.

"That's impossible, Jim wouldn't make that kind of mistake." I said as I looked for my boots.

"They are saying that he did." She said as she handed me one of my boots.

I quickly finished getting dressed, before I rushed to the transporter. I beamed down to the station and left to find Jim, but I ended up only finding Commander Spock.

"Commander, what is going on? What is this about Jim getting court martialed?" I asked as I walked up to him.

"They are saying that he killed Officer Finney." Spock explained as he put his arms behind his back.

"Then they are crazy." I growled out. "We both know that Jim wouldn't do a thing like that!"

"Perhaps. Though the computers do not make it appear good for the Captain." Spock said softly.

"When is his trial?" I asked as I crossed my arms over my chest and looked up at Spock.

"This afternoon."

I went to walk past him but he cut me off, by grabbing a hold of my arm and stopping me.

"Lieutenant, I'm afraid that they will not be allowing you to attend." Spock said as he stared down at me.

My eyes went wide and I stared up at Spock.

He couldn't be serious, why would they not allow me to attend the trial? This couldn't be happening, could it?

"But I am his sister. I have every right to be there!" I exclaimed.

"I'm afraid that it was the Captain who asked for you not to join." He explained as he put his hands behind his back.

"But-"

Spock cut me off by moving his hand to my shoulder.

"Theodosia, I promise you that everything will be fine. I will make sure of it." He said as he gently squeezed my shoulder.