Chapter 24

My eyes slid open and I turned my head to see Jo throwing away a piece of blood soaked cloth.

"How long... have I been out?" I asked with a groan.

"Awhile, I almost called dad." She said as she walked up to me.

"Thanks for keeping this a secret." I breathed out as I tried to sit up.

A sharp sting of pain hit and Jo quickly forced me to lay back down.

"That will teach you a lesson about resting."

"Right... Jim- the last thing I heard was that something had happened to him! Is he oka-"

"He's fine. Dad is tending to him now." She said as I forced myself to sit up. "Hold on you can't-"

"Jo, I need to check on him. Besides I can have Bones look me over."

"Okay, I have to go and check in the guy that attacked you both... so you better stay in sickbay."

"Scouts honor." I said as she helped me to my feet.

We separated and I made my way to the sickbay, where I found Bones and Spock talking. Jim was out cold on a bed, a bandage around his waist.

"How is he?" I asked as I walked over to Jim.

"It's a bad wound. Punctured left lung. A centimetre or so lower, it'd have gone through the heart." Bones explained.

"I'll be in the brig questioning the Andorian prisoner." Spock said as he moved to leave.

"Doctor, the K2 factor is dropping." Chapel said softly.

"Spock, your father is much worse. There's no longer a choice. I have to operate immediately. We can begin as soon as you're prepared." Bones said calmly.

"No, Doctor."

"What? Spock did you not hear him?" I asked as I walked up to him.

"My first responsibility is to the ship. Our passengers' safety is by Starfleet order of first importance. We are being followed by an alien, possibly hostile, vessel. I cannot relinquish command under these circumstances." Spock said calmly.

"You can turn command over to Scotty." Bones said angrily.

"On what grounds, Doctor? Command requirements do not recognise personal privilege. I'll be in the brig interrogating the Andorian." Spock said as he turned and left the room.

I quickly followed him and grabbed his hand.

"Spock, your father could die without that surgery. Give command to Scotty and I'll interrogate him." I said softly.

"Wasn't it you who wished for me to not do the surgery?" He calmly asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes, but things have changed. Spock, can you really stand by and allow your father to die?" I asked as I stared up at him.

"I have little to no choose in the matter." He said as he turned and walked away.

I let out a groan and grabbed the wall. I quickly straightened up and walked back into sickbay. Thankfully Jim soon woke up and I had never been so thrilled to see him.

"I'd like to get my hands on the guy with the sledgehammer." Jim said with a groan.

"The one who hit you?" I asked as I walked up to him.

"No, the one inside my head. How long have I-"

He went to sit up but quickly fell back down, causing me to let out a light laugh as I helped him lay back down.