Chapter 14

Chapter 14

The fire began to glow as the orange and pinks from the sunset died. The scenery around us is truly picturesque. The tall trees with large canopies protecting us from the rain, the moonlight bobbing in the clear water and the glow of the fire makes the wood come to life. Who would have thought the crackling of the fire would be so relaxing and calming.

We're all sat around the camp-fire. Sticks over the open flame melting the marshmallows on the end. Toasting them and turning them a golden brown. The air around us filled with small talk, giggles from the girls and boys boasting.

When did I become so poetic?

Aubrey and Eden sat on either side of me, both taking around me. Ralf is sat across from me gulping the beer in his hand, he looks incredibly bored. I cant help but notice the eyes on me, burning into my soul. My eyes glanced from the stick holding my marshmallow to look around the small circle surrounding the camp-fire. Next to Aubrey Hans, who I recently learnt from eavesdropping that he's from Germany and moved over here last year after an exchange program, is trying to talk to Margaret. She's busy texting and yawning, clearly not being discrete she doesn't want to talk. Harriet is next to her and her eyes are fixed on me, her long lashes batting, it looks like she has something in her eye. Not attractive.

Ralf is next to her, his eyes glancing between me to Aubrey and back to me. Warning me to stick to the plan, trust me, I would rather be bitten by a snake, I think to myself. He takes a long sip from can before his eyes focusing on the embers of the wood.

Matt's eyes are focused on me, an angered look on his face. His arm crept around Maisy and he pulled he close. Maisy's big eyes focused on Matt's face. She follows his gaze to me and gives me a warm smile. This seems to piss Matt even more. She touches his chin, grasps it gently and turns his head to face her. She reaches up slightly and plants a small kiss on his lips to reassure him. Jakes eyes are focused on me, looking between me and Eden. Mainly his eyes are sat on Eden but when his eyes land on me his facial expression changed. He looked like he'd squeezed a bitter lemon in his mouth.

My eyes landed on Eden who sat on my left, her eyes locked with mine, holding each others gaze. The blew gently making her hair fly in different directions and part of her face hidden in the shadows. Whilst others highlighted from the light. A small, shy smile slide on to her face and her cheeks turned a deep red colour. Oh, how I wanted to lean in and press my lips to hers.

A hand found its way onto my shoulder, causing me to brake my graze with Eden. My head flew to the other side to see Aubrey giving me a stern look. She shook her head and mouthed no to me. I let out a long sigh as I turned to look at her again. She was busy talking to Jake, I could see the smirk on his face.

'Jesse, you've melted your marshmallow.' Aubrey giggled. I looked and noticed I had.

'So have you.' The pair of us burst in to giggle, causing more eyes to look our way. Aubrey grabbed the bag of marshmallows and held one to my mouth.

'Opened up.' She smiled at me, I did as I was told and my mouth was filled with a soft, gooey food. 'How many can you hit in you mouth?' She asked. Good question.

'More than you can.' I challenge her.

'Oh, really. Bet you five pounds.' She smiles at me, her eyebrows raised. I shook her hand and we began to stuff our faces with the gooey goodness.