Chapter 4: The Commander

Previously...

We then began to walk towards the ark in complete silence, mostly because we were astonished that the System managed to remove corruption. Along the way, I learned from Shifty that corruption corrupts the brains of Nikkes, making the Raptureds effectively control them. After that, the Raptures collect the Nikke through the Rapture "Blacksmith". What happens after that, we don't know... after around another hour of walking, we soon arrive at the Ark... or the entrance of it...

Anis: Shift. Marian. What's going on?

Shifty: The corruption code implanted into Marian's brain must've been acting as a navigator! It guides Nikkes to the Blacksmith's location. That way, they're having their 'food' delivered straight to their doorstep.

Anis: But she was acting completely normal before she went haywire.

You: (There must've been a trigger, like the fuze on a bomb, or the timer on a time bomb. Maybe once she gets close enough to the Blacksmith, the code finally overruns her...)

Shifty: That's probably because of Fern. A Nikke's highest priority is protecting their commander and obeying any orders given. I'm willing to bet the problem started when she met him. That's when her priorities were shifted out of order.

You: However, the problem is that I'm not a "commander".

Shifty: She probably recognized you as one then...

You: But, how..?

Shifty: Well, we don't know, but she was completely defenseless when in close proximity to the Blacksmith. That means the corruption was quite severe.

We then made our way to an elevator that went down

Rapi: When did it start?

Shifty: What?

Rapi: When was she first corrupted?

Shifty: During the operation, I suppose... ah yes...

Rapi: You said she was the one that sabotaged the transport ship, right? She must have already been corrupted at that point. And that transport ship came from the Ark.

You: I agree, it was most likely before that point of time, maybe a day or two prior.

Shifty gasps at this revelation

Shifty: Were the Aegis Barriers broken?

Rapi: No, the Aegis Barriers are strong. They'd pick up any corruption in an instant.

Anis: Rapi, what are you trying to say?

Rapi: Well...

You: She's trying to say that someone from within the Ark implanted the corruption. And it doesn't take a genius to guess that that person is a high-ranking officer in the military...

We soon reach a massive cavern and through the glass, I see a massive structure within

Anis: That's the Ark.