Part 27

You didn't actually answer my question," Ava points out, the two of them sitting huddled together on the Jungle Cruise. "About what happens when we get back."

Beatrice keeps hold of her hand, thinking.

"Will we be able to be together?" Ava asks, as if there's any other option right now.

"I don't think we'll live at Cat's Cradle," Beatrice finally says. "I don't think I could be with you the way I want to if we do."

"Okay."

"We'll find somewhere close," Beatrice says. "Somewhere just for the two of us. Somewhere we can build our life and actually live it."

"Somewhere we'll have privacy, huh?"

Beatrice immediately shakes her head, ducking it slightly as she blushes.

"Oop, there it is," Ava says, delighted. "Thought I'd never see it again."

"Does it make you happy to see it?" she asks.

"You make me happy." Her free hand goes in search of the ring hanging around Beatrice's neck, pulling it out of her shirt. "Every second with you has been the happiest I've ever been."

"Even when I'm making you cry?"

"Or when I'm accusing you of being jealous?"

Beatrice just smiles. "I think we've come a long way."

"Been through quite a bit already," Ava muses. "It's one thing to love you, but I also actually like you."

Beatrice frowns. "Please explain."

"Like, as a person, I just - I enjoy who you are," Ava tries. "I like spending time with you, and I like talking to you; doing things with you. I don't know, I just know that we have a good thing here." She squeezes Beatrice's hand. "It feels good, right? Feels healthy, balanced, something truly mutual."

Beatrice releases her hand to be able to wrap her arm around her shoulders, tucking her in close. "It feels really good, Ava," she confirms. "For a relationship that's meant to last forever, I'm really glad it's with you."

"Maybe we should get married," Ava says, particularly out of the blue.

"Excuse me?"

"Sorry. I just - maybe we should."

Beatrice's brow creases. "Explain your reasoning."

"Ouch, Bea."

"No, I mean - I just - what changed between New York and now?" she asks. "Did you not believe me when I said I'm not leaving you?"

"I do believe you," Ava assures her. "I just - "

"Ava, what is it?"

"We have to go back soon," Ava says, looking away from her. "Everything is going to change then, and I just - I want to hold onto you. Is that so wrong?"

"Only if you're doing it for the wrong reason."

Ava falls silent, the boat chugging along. Then she turns to Beatrice and whispers, "You're saying no."

Beatrice's jaw clenches. "You haven't even asked me," she says. "In fact, you specifically said you wouldn't ask." She touches Ava's chin, turning her head to face her. "What has changed?" she asks. "Tell me."

Ava's own jaw tightens. "I love you," she says. "Everything is going to change, and this is the one thing that doesn't have to."

"Ava."

"When this War starts, we won't be able to hide," Ava reminds her. "You said that."

"You know something else, don't you?" Beatrice guesses. "Something you didn't tell me about your time on the other side."