Part 13

Beatrice learns quite quickly that Ava enjoys her dairy. It's such an odd thing to be aware of, but she knew this truth just within the first few days of having Ava at Cat's Cradle.

China, they learn, isn't that big on lactose.

Though, first, they're in Hong Kong, and Beatrice watches Ava try a matcha latte for the first time. Beatrice can't be sure if she actually likes it, though her facial expression is probably one of the cutest Beatrice has ever seen. She wants to catalogue every one of them, filing them away with every other thing she's learned about Ava.

One of those things, incidentally, is that she loves rollercoasters, in addition to all the dairy. Beatrice learns that when they go to Hong Kong Disneyland, Ava nearly losing her mind at every little thing. Beatrice's recent Disney knowledge is, admittedly, limited. Her time in holy service has sometimes restricted her access in the past, so it's been something quite wonderful to experience it all alongside Ava.

"How do people even pick their favourites?" Ava asks, twisting the tornado potato on a stick in her hand. She's been trying to figure out the best way to eat it, and Beatrice has been content to watch her.

"I always enjoyed 101 Dalmatians," Beatrice reveals, sipping at her iced latte. "When I was little, I would come home from school every day and watch it, without fail."

Ava looks at her now, eyes giving away her affection from across the bench table. "I can see it," she says, "Little six-year-old Bea, sitting cross-legged, right up close to the TV. Gosh, you must have been insanely cute." She pauses, and then grins. "Well, cuter than you are now."

Beatrice ducks her head, blushing. "Ava."

"Bea."

"Which ride do you want to go on next?"

Ava's expression shifts to delight, and Beatrice realises what she's said a little too late. "Oh, Bea, if you're really asking."

Beatrice's mind takes her somewhere it shouldn't, and she has to shake her head to clear it. "Ava."

She grins widely; knowingly. "One day, Bea," she promises, which definitely doesn't help with the heat in Beatrice's cheeks. Ava's expression shifts slightly, getting more serious. "Is that something you'd want?"

Beatrice blinks. "Are we really talking about this in one of the happiest places on Earth?"

"I just want to know if I have a chance," Ava says, all innocence. "Are we going to have to be celibate for the rest of our lives?"

"Ava."

She leans forward, presenting Beatrice with the tip of her potato stick. "It's a simple yes or no answer, Bea."

Beatrice picks at a slice of potato and places it in her mouth, trying to buy herself time. "It's not as simple as you think," she says. Her whole life has been an exercise of control and suppression of her desires. She's been shunned and ostracised in the past. It's just not a fear that can be switched off easily. It's not simple to allow herself to want, even if she knows she does.

Of course she does.

"You kissed me back," Ava points out, eating a slice of potato and enjoying the crunch. "I remember that."

"Ava. Please."

Ava studies her closely, maybe trying to determine if she should push for more or not. Eventually, she decides against it and says, "Let's go shopping," like she hadn't just been alluding to sex. "I want a cap. And one of those Pandora bracelet things. We should both get one. Yes. It's practically our engagement."

Beatrice doesn't even comment. "Anything you want, Ava," she says. "Then maybe we can check out the Tomorrowland Stage."

"Oh, you want to see some other badass superheroes, hmm?"

"We're not superheroes, Ava."

"We kind of are, though," she immediately counters. "I've seen you with a sword, Bea. The Black Widow's got nothing on you."

Beatrice just shakes her head. "Finish your snack, there," she says. "We've got places to see, people to go."

Ava gives her a curious look. "That doesn't sound right."

"Doesn't it?"

Her smile widens, eyes filled with delight. "You are dangerous, aren't you?"

And Beatrice is one hundred percent telling the truth when she says, "Oh, my dear Ava, I can assure you that you haven't seen anything yet."

Ava jumps a little in her seat, giddy. "Promises, promises."

Beatrice intends to keep every one.