Part 5

Nineteen Days Later

Beatrice is very good at keeping secrets. Even as a child, she could keep things close to the chest for people and herself. It's the reason why she never told her mother about her father's numerous affairs, and the reason she never told her father about her mother's secret bank account.

Beatrice is like a vault, which is why nobody - not a single soul - suspects that there is a place she is heading towards when she finally walks away from her duties of being a Sister Warrior. A trainer of others.

She won't tell a soul, and she doesn't feel at all conflicted by it. Maybe the old Beatrice would have stayed for longer; would have settled into what more is expected of her, but Ava said they have time, and Beatrice intends to spend that time with Ava.

She's stayed long enough, anyway. They'll need to rebuild their ranks, too many of the Order senselessly slaughtered. It's a dangerous world they live in, and these newest recruits will have to understand that. They'll need to realise just what they're fighting for. Sometimes, even Beatrice doesn't know, which is why she needs this time. She needs -

No.

She wants it.

Which is why she tells Camilla, Father Vincent and Mother Superior that she cannot stay. She knows she'll be back one day, with Ava, but they'll be fine without her for now. They'll get ready, and Beatrice will be ready when they are. So will Ava. They just can't be whom they want to be while they're here, and Beatrice hopes her found family can understand that.

It's maybe why they stand back and watch her leave, Camila obviously trying to get a read on her and failing. There's a small part of Beatrice that wants to tell her where she's going and whom she's going to see, but Camila makes sure not to ask, so Beatrice doesn't confess. It's better this way, perhaps, because Camila will just have questions, and Beatrice doesn't actually have any answers.

Well, she has one.

Just GPS coordinates and a date and time. They arrived via email, a new one Ava's clearly just made, her name ' ,' and Beatrice let out a laugh when it first arrived in her inbox. It's been nineteen days of wondering if she actually imagined it all, and now she's on her way to get what her heart knows is true confirmed for her.

Of all the places she expected Ava to pick, this is not it. Beatrice takes the train, using the hours alone to wrap her mind around what it means to be apart from her found family.

It's the second time in as many months, she and Ava separated from the rest of the OCS, but now it's by choice and not under Mother Superion's instruction. Beatrice is going willingly, unsure what to expect exactly, because the last time she saw Ava was -

It was a lot.

Truthfully, Beatrice hasn't allowed herself the time to unpack it all, rather just throwing herself into the recovery of their Order and weathering the aftermath of the end of Adriel and the execution of their Pope. There wasn't time before, but she's certain of at least two things. 1. Beatrice will return to the OCS with the Warrior Nun in tow, and 2. Beatrice loves Ava.

For now, they're all that matter, and she's ready and willing to see where life takes her now. It won't be easy, given she's exactly whom she is, but she wants it, and that's the first step, isn't it?

After the train is a short ferry ride, and she has to tell herself again when she arrives in a tiny coastal town she's never heard of before, ready to be found. She knows she's in Greece, and she knows that Ava picked it because it's not Italy or Spain. It's somewhere new, but also weirdly familiar.

The town is smaller than where they were in Switzerland, but just as busy. The streets are cobbled, buildings white and blue, and Beatrice makes her way to the Town Square, eyes searching the crowds for anyone familiar. Ava is here; Beatrice can feel it.

Beatrice has come to a stop, still studying the crowds, heart pounding in her chest, when she senses a presence behind her. It's not hostile, so she doesn't turn, but then hands reach around her, soft fingers covering her eyes, and a happy voice says, "Guess who?"

Before she can help it, Beatrice smiles. Her shoulders drop, relieved that this entire thing hasn't been one gigantic fever dream. Sometimes, she imagines waking up to find herself back underground, the Arc quiet and taunting, Ava gone forever.

Right now, Beatrice's hands reach up to cover both of Ava's, gently pulling them away as she turns. Ava.

It's Ava.

Beatrice keeps hold of her hands. "Hi," she breathes.

"You made it," Ava declares, lifting herself onto her toes. "I knew you were a genius."

Beatrice smiles. "Your code wasn't exactly cutting edge, Ava."

"Ouch." She drops down. "I learned everything I know from TV, you know?"

Beatrice lifts her eyebrows.

"Okay, maybe not everything," Ava allows, letting go of one of Beatrice's hands and turning slightly. "We're staying not too far from here. I want to show you around, but maybe we should drop off your things first."

Beatrice just keeps her eyes on her, not daring to look anywhere else. She doesn't even care where they are in this moment. It doesn't even matter, as long as she's with Ava.

Ava looks back at her, concerned with the silence. "Bea?"

Beatrice's smile is small, tinged with sadness. "Anything you want," she offers, and she means it.

Ava's smile slips slightly. "You really mean that, don't you?"

Beatrice nods, the moment sobering between them, because Beatrice is serious. Perhaps more serious than she's ever been before, and that is saying a lot.

Ava turns back, facing her properly. She gets close again, and Beatrice looks between her eyes again, her nose, her lips, the slight flush to her cheeks. "I don't want you to do anything you don't want to do," she says.

"I don't even know what I would want," Beatrice admits. She's spent so many years denying herself many, many things. It's been an odd comfort, being able to hide behind her first vows to keep her from experiences she might not be comfortable with, but her time with Ava has already showed her there are experiences she wants to have.

"Sure you do," Ava says, her concern fading and giving way to mischief once more. "You're here with me, aren't you?"

Beatrice is going to need a constant reminder. "Indeed, I am."

Ava watches her closely, searching for something. "Will you combust if I kissed you?" she asks, and Beatrice's eyes widen in alarm. Ava laughs. "Thought so," she says, like she knew the answer all along. "Come on. There are things I want to show you."

Beatrice lets Ava pull her along, not taking in her surroundings at all. Because Ava is here, right in front of her, breathing and laughing and waving at people as they walk. She's alive and well and -

Beatrice comes to an abrupt stop, forcing Ava to stop and turn in worry, and Beatrice pulls her into a fierce hug. Her duffel drops to the ground with a thud, but she doesn't care. This is Ava. This is -

"Ava."