Part 10

It's early when Beatrice's eyes open again, the sky still dark outside. Ava is draped over her, left hand tucked under her t-shirt, palm warm against her skin. For a moment, Beatrice is tempted to pinch herself, just to make sure it's all real, but she doesn't want the dream to end if it's not.

Which is why Beatrice just lies here, reminding herself to enjoy it.

When Ava does stir, it is the single greatest event Beatrice has ever witnessed. It's slow and perfect, her eyes fluttering, body stretching. Her mouth pulls into a smile when she sees that Beatrice is awake.

"Hi," Ava whispers.

"Hi."

"Have you been up long?"

"No."

"Liar."

Beatrice smiles, because they both know she's an early riser. "I've been thinking," she says.

"Ouch."

She pinches Ava's side, getting an indignant squeak out of her. "I've been thinking about where we go next, and then after that."

"Our itinerary, huh?" she asks. "Organised-Beatrice makes another appearance."

"You said we have time, but just how much time is that?"

Ava's expression shifts, and her reluctance is clear to see. Maybe it's best if she's the only one who knows, anyway. Beatrice can accept not knowing this part.

"More than a month?" Beatrice asks. "More than two months? Three?"

"Yes, yes, and yes."

Beatrice nods. "Okay," she says, "Then I think the first place we should go is my hometown."

"Oh?"

"It's the most pressing, perhaps," she says. "It's also one of the closer ones. And then I was thinking Egypt."

"You want to leave already?"

"No," she says. "I would very much like to remain where I am right now."

It's the moment Ava realises the position they're in, tucked in close, her hand against Beatrice's abdominal muscles. "Oh."

"Yeah."

Ava watches her carefully, her fingers tensing slightly. "Is this okay?"

"That you're touching me?"

"I don't think that's ever been an issue for us," Ava says, because she's never been afraid to reach for Beatrice, comforted by the fact she knows she'll always find Beatrice right there. "It's just where I'm touching you."

"Because my t-shirt isn't tucked in?"

"Practically an invitation."

Beatrice chuckles. "You can touch all you want."

"Yeah?"

Beatrice nods, her breath catching when Ava's hand drifts up.

"Can I look, too?" Ava asks.

"It was only one date, Ava," Beatrice jokes, which gets a startled laugh out of Ava.

Her hand remains perfectly still, though. "This used to be my favourite part of our time in Switzerland."

Beatrice frowns. "Excuse me?"

"Waking up," Ava admits. "Hearing you moving around in our place, just knowing you were there, knowing I wasn't alone and it was you. Bea, it's you."

"You're surprised I'm still in bed, aren't you?"

"Half expected you to have done your morning workout, got dressed for the day, and started on breakfast already."

Beatrice shifts, rolling towards Ava and wrapping her in a hug. She closes her eyes, burying her face in Ava's hair. She feels the breath Ava takes, feels the hand in her own hair, and hears Ava say, "This is much better, anyway."

"You're not hungry?"

"Starving," Ava admits, "But I don't think we actually have any food."

"What would you do without me?"

Ava's hands tighten around her. "I'd rather not think about it."

Beatrice breathes out, making Ava giggle and squirm. "Things are different now," she says. "It won't be the same as it was in the Alps. I don't want it to be."

"Why?" Ava asks, and Beatrice gets the impression Ava wants to hear all the same things again. Wants some kind of reassurance that they can actually live their lives as they wish for at least the next three months.

"Because you told me to live my life," Beatrice says. "I was going to, at least to the best of my ability, but it's everything I didn't know I could allow myself to want to be able to live it with you."

"Bea," she whispers, and her voice is reverent. She doesn't say anything else, though, but Beatrice understands without the words. They've always been good at this: the silent communication, being able to read each other.

"But we will have to train," Beatrice tells her, laughing when Ava groans. "Not as much and not as stringently, but you know and I know that we have to." Her own voice quiets. "I can't not."

Ava sighs, but she does know. Life is about balance, after all. "Okay," she says, "When do we leave?"